Uptown, Upscale, Uncommon is the blog for the vibrant village of Shorewood Business Improvement District. To learn more about the BID, visit the BID'sweb site.
Annual Awards Recognize Outstanding Commitment to Business District
At its annual meeting in October, the Shorewood Business Improvement District (BID) proudly presented its annual Showcase Awards to Shorewood businesses and business partners that have shown outstanding commitment, dedication and support of the Village's business district. In addition, a facade improvement award recognizes outstanding property investment in the business district.
Many thanks to the following businesses and business partners for their support of - and investment in - Shorewood's vibrant business district:
BUSINESSES OF THE YEAR
• North Shore Bank (with two Shorewood locations: 3970 N. Oakland Ave. and 4414 N. Oakland Ave.): North Shore Bank has come a long way from humble beginnings in the early 1920s in the back of a Shorewood hardware store on East Capitol Drive. North Shore Bank offers innovative products and incomparable customer service and is one of the strongest banks in the Midwest, as well as a nationally respected leader in the banking community. The bank is also an ongoing community sponsor of Village/BID activities and special events.
• Eastmore Real Estate (Leonard Sobczak and Deborah Sobczak, owners): Eastmore Real Estate continues to set the standards in high-quality apartment homes in our area. They own the buildings they manage and pride of ownership shows in the immaculate way their buildings are maintained. Many Eastmore properties are located in Shorewood's business district and the company is a strong supporter of community events.
BUSINESS PARTNERS OF THE YEAR
• Shorewood Police Department: Shorewood's Police Department provides a personal level of service to keep the Village safe and secure that is unlike anything found in other communities. The Village and the BID recognize the deep level of commitment and the extraordinary extra efforts that are made on behalf of residents and business owners by our officers and staff who go over and above the call of duty.
• Shorewood Department of Public Works: The hard work and commitment by Shorewood's DPW staff makes our Village cleaner, our parks and medians prettier, and life in our Village healthier and easier. They provide the highest level of public service possible to Shorewood residents by keeping all Village property, the infrastructure and vehicles properly maintained.
FACADE IMPROVEMENT OF THE YEAR
• Demetrios Dimitropoulos and 3510 Oakland LLC: The newly renovated building at 3510 N. Oakland Ave. at Shorewood's southern border provides a handsome and refreshing entryway to the Village. With its new facelift, partly funded by a Village/BID facade improvement grant, the 3510 N. Oakland building demonstrates a significant investment in the business district by property owner Demetri Dimitropoulos.