Last Thursday, we had the pleasure of attending the Brown Deer cross country banquet that signaled the end of the teams' season. In today's society, when we often hear a lot of negative things about our young people, it was refreshing to see a group of young men and women who have their priorities straight.
This group has worked hard all year long and has received little attention. They are a small group and have competed against much bigger teams. Even though their teams did not win a lot of meets, they have had a number of personal successes. Throughout the season, they worked hard and supported each other.
They have done an excellent job representing Brown Deer High School by consistently demonstrating good sportsmanship, team pride and school spirit. Most importantly, they have had fun participating in a healthy, positive activity.
We would like to thank coach Matt Bub for the excellent job he did in motivating the team and setting a great example for how to compete.
The members of the 2010 boys and girls cross country teams were Sam Bach, Chris Burant, Horst Burmeister, Jasper Drummond, Carolyn Hermsen, Curt Hogg, Chris Jones, Karla Lamb, Megan Padgett, Thomas Simms-Manske, Brian Victor, Matt Weichart and manager Jim Hendrickson.
You may have seen them running on 60th Street, down Bradley Road to Brown Deer Park, or training during the summer. If you see any of these athletes, thank them for the excellent job they have done in representing Brown Deer and congratulate them on a fine season.
John and Phyllis Hermsen
parents of a cross country runner
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood robbery suspects face charges
- Shorewood School District raises $1 million for STEAM programs
- Build-your-own pizza place coming to Shorewood next year
- Shorewood families want to host Syrian refugees
- Plensa sculpture in Shorewood will be altered to remove anti-Semitic phrases
- Shorewood School Board expresses opposition to assembly bill on transgender students (1)
- Shorewood native spending college semester paddling Mississippi River
- Shorewood High School Orchestra to play side-by-side with Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
- Shorewood students highlight mental illness at Milwaukee Film Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015