Shorewood — A proposed mixed-use redevelopment project along the west side of Oakland Avenue near the village's northern border continues to gain traction with an anticipated review by two appointed bodies.
The Village Board on Monday voted to refer the proposal - which includes an 84-unit apartment complex and a relocated Walgreens store on the first floor of the development - to the Plan Commission and Design Review Board. Members of both appointed bodies will hash over specifics before making a recommendation to the Village Board.
Once both bodies are finished with their deliberations, the Village Board will make a final decision on the project.
"The Plan Commission and Design Review Board shall make a recommendation back to the Village Board within 60 days of the referral," said Ericka Lang, planning and zoning administrator.
The two-month stipulation is outlined in Shorewood's Village Code. If the project moves forward, officials will create a special designation for the parcel, known as a planned development district.
The proposal includes plans to create a fourth tax-incremental financing district to help with funding. If plans proceed, the redevelopment will replace a Sendik's parking lot.
Village Manager Chris Swartz said two public information meetings will be held on the proposal in May. Comprehensive details also are available on the village website, villageofshorewood.org.
- Dave Fidlin
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Shorewood officials will hold an open house on the proposed Walgreens-anchored redevelopment project on Oakland Avenue.
WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, May 11 and 25
WHERE: Village Center, lower level, 3920 N. Murray Ave.
- Shorewood group encourages shoppers to bring their own bag
- Shorewood Criterium Classic set for June 23
- Shorewood trustees approve new police department
- Video: Bicyclist beats car in race from Shorewood to downtown
- Race car driver Hobbs will compete against Olympic cyclist Emery in Rider vs. Driver challenge
- Art students' mural about race relations removed from Shorewood High School (1)
- Shorewood's Cloud Red softly opens its doors (1)
- Sex assault reported in Shorewood
- Shorewood students get 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to meet celebrity alumni
- Shorewood students get buzz cuts for cancer