Shorewood — A proposed mixed-use redevelopment project along the west side of Oakland Avenue near the village's northern border continues to gain traction with an anticipated review by two appointed bodies.
The Village Board on Monday voted to refer the proposal - which includes an 84-unit apartment complex and a relocated Walgreens store on the first floor of the development - to the Plan Commission and Design Review Board. Members of both appointed bodies will hash over specifics before making a recommendation to the Village Board.
Once both bodies are finished with their deliberations, the Village Board will make a final decision on the project.
"The Plan Commission and Design Review Board shall make a recommendation back to the Village Board within 60 days of the referral," said Ericka Lang, planning and zoning administrator.
The two-month stipulation is outlined in Shorewood's Village Code. If the project moves forward, officials will create a special designation for the parcel, known as a planned development district.
The proposal includes plans to create a fourth tax-incremental financing district to help with funding. If plans proceed, the redevelopment will replace a Sendik's parking lot.
Village Manager Chris Swartz said two public information meetings will be held on the proposal in May. Comprehensive details also are available on the village website, villageofshorewood.org.
- Dave Fidlin
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Shorewood officials will hold an open house on the proposed Walgreens-anchored redevelopment project on Oakland Avenue.
WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, May 11 and 25
WHERE: Village Center, lower level, 3920 N. Murray Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood concert series debuts July 8
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- No injuries in Shorewood apartment fire
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- Shorewood hires Bryan Davis as superintendent
- Shorewood weighs in on Estabrook Dam debate
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- Frank Lloyd Wright house uncovered in Shorewood (2)
- GoPro Video: Watch Olympic cyclist Brent Emery take on a car in a race from Shorewood to downtown (13)
- Shorewood expands bike parking into street