The village of Bayside board of trustees unanimously voted Thursday to close the yard waste collection site on Fairy Chasm Road and offer one collection day per month for both recycling material and yard waste.
The unmonitored yard waste site, 201 E. Fairy Chasm Road, has been a target of ongoing illegal dumping by both nonresidents and contractors, said Village Manager Andy Pederson. Because of this abuse, the board voted to create a monthly drop off day on the third Tuesday of each month for residents to drop off their yard waste and recycling materials at Village Hall, 9705 Regent Road.
"We're changing the service and we're adding a service," Pederson said.
The Bayside Police Department has patrolled the dump site over the past couple of years and written citations to people from many of the surrounding North Shore communities. Electronic items, steel, a toilet, windows and hazardous materials have been found illegally dumped at the site.
"We know of several contractors who in the last week, who are doing business out of town, brought their brush here and taxpayers have to absorb that cost to move it and grind it," Pederson said.
The transition into closing the current collection site will take a few weeks, as will the start of the monthly collection cycle at Village Hall.
- Milwaukee's first surf shop rides into Shorewood (3)
- Development is off the table in Wilson Drive discussions
- Bublr makes push for extra bike rental stations in Shorewood
- Three Lions Pub, Camp Bar allowed to have patio seating on the street
- Construction delayed on Shorewood ice cream shop (6)
- Shorewood group encourages shoppers to bring their own bag
- Shorewood Criterium Classic set for June 23
- Shorewood trustees approve new police department
- Video: Bicyclist beats car in race from Shorewood to downtown
- Race car driver Hobbs will compete against Olympic cyclist Emery in Rider vs. Driver challenge