The village of Bayside board of trustees unanimously voted Thursday to close the yard waste collection site on Fairy Chasm Road and offer one collection day per month for both recycling material and yard waste.
The unmonitored yard waste site, 201 E. Fairy Chasm Road, has been a target of ongoing illegal dumping by both nonresidents and contractors, said Village Manager Andy Pederson. Because of this abuse, the board voted to create a monthly drop off day on the third Tuesday of each month for residents to drop off their yard waste and recycling materials at Village Hall, 9705 Regent Road.
"We're changing the service and we're adding a service," Pederson said.
The Bayside Police Department has patrolled the dump site over the past couple of years and written citations to people from many of the surrounding North Shore communities. Electronic items, steel, a toilet, windows and hazardous materials have been found illegally dumped at the site.
"We know of several contractors who in the last week, who are doing business out of town, brought their brush here and taxpayers have to absorb that cost to move it and grind it," Pederson said.
The transition into closing the current collection site will take a few weeks, as will the start of the monthly collection cycle at Village Hall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Some Shorewood residents feel shut out by school board participation policy
- Shorewood school budget nearly derailed over public comment policy change (4)
- Run DMC rapper Darryl McDaniels launches Clicks sneaker shop in Shorewood (1)
- Rob Reinhoffer resigns from Shorewood School Board
- Shorewood celebrates Lake Michigan Day with coaster contest
- Shorewood considers new police building
- Lake Drive mansion sets stage for fictional wedding drama
- Olson House brings Scandinavian furniture to Shorewood
- Tochi in Shorewood is closing
- Shorewood debates trick-or-treat times (1)