A resident reported being the victim of a scam June 4 after sending money to a person she met on match.com May 8.
According to the Shorewood police report:
She and the person, who said he was a contractor working on an oil pipeline, communicated by email, phone and instant messaging.
After a short time, that person on match.com said he needed $5,000 to continue his work and asked her to send that amount via Western Union. She did.
He then said he needed another $4,000. She sent just $2,000 and he immediately asked her where the other $2,000 was.
It was then she called police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- Fire at Shorewood apartment building likely caused by unattended candle
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015
- Sydney b. opens second store in Shorewood
- Winter's not through with us yet
- North Shore Police Reports: May 7, 2015
- Shorewood principal retires after 24 years
- Shorewood rehab facility to reopen with new approach
- Shorewood Pick 'n Save closure boosts business at Sendik's (1)
- Shorewood schools receive $1.5 million grant