A resident reported being the victim of a scam June 4 after sending money to a person she met on match.com May 8.
According to the Shorewood police report:
She and the person, who said he was a contractor working on an oil pipeline, communicated by email, phone and instant messaging.
After a short time, that person on match.com said he needed $5,000 to continue his work and asked her to send that amount via Western Union. She did.
He then said he needed another $4,000. She sent just $2,000 and he immediately asked her where the other $2,000 was.
It was then she called police.
- Shorewood group encourages shoppers to bring their own bag
- Shorewood Criterium Classic set for June 23
- Shorewood trustees approve new police department
- Video: Bicyclist beats car in race from Shorewood to downtown
- Race car driver Hobbs will compete against Olympic cyclist Emery in Rider vs. Driver challenge
- Art students' mural about race relations removed from Shorewood High School (1)
- Shorewood's Cloud Red softly opens its doors (1)
- Sex assault reported in Shorewood
- Shorewood students get 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to meet celebrity alumni
- Shorewood students get buzz cuts for cancer