A resident reported being the victim of a scam June 4 after sending money to a person she met on match.com May 8.
According to the Shorewood police report:
She and the person, who said he was a contractor working on an oil pipeline, communicated by email, phone and instant messaging.
After a short time, that person on match.com said he needed $5,000 to continue his work and asked her to send that amount via Western Union. She did.
He then said he needed another $4,000. She sent just $2,000 and he immediately asked her where the other $2,000 was.
It was then she called police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: July 31, 2014
- Four Democrats running to represent Shorewood
- Wauwatosa man killed in Menomonee Falls crash July 10
- Milwaukee's oldest house reopened
- Senior living center breaks ground in Shorewood
- Shorewood's new advancement officer pioneering a possible trend in school fundraising
- Software company gets $200K village loan
- North Shore Police Reports: July 10, 2014
- Video: Shorewood residents upset about six-story building
- North Shore Police Report: July 3, 2014