A resident reported being the victim of a scam June 4 after sending money to a person she met on match.com May 8.
According to the Shorewood police report:
She and the person, who said he was a contractor working on an oil pipeline, communicated by email, phone and instant messaging.
After a short time, that person on match.com said he needed $5,000 to continue his work and asked her to send that amount via Western Union. She did.
He then said he needed another $4,000. She sent just $2,000 and he immediately asked her where the other $2,000 was.
It was then she called police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood school budget nearly derailed over public comment policy change (4)
- Run DMC rapper Darryl McDaniels launches Clicks sneaker shop in Shorewood (1)
- Rob Reinhoffer resigns from Shorewood School Board
- Shorewood celebrates Lake Michigan Day with coaster contest
- Shorewood considers new police building
- Lake Drive mansion sets stage for fictional wedding drama
- Olson House brings Scandinavian furniture to Shorewood
- Tochi in Shorewood is closing
- Shorewood debates trick-or-treat times (1)
- Shorewood gets its first tattoo shop, Positronic (3)