A resident reported being the victim of a scam June 4 after sending money to a person she met on match.com May 8.
According to the Shorewood police report:
She and the person, who said he was a contractor working on an oil pipeline, communicated by email, phone and instant messaging.
After a short time, that person on match.com said he needed $5,000 to continue his work and asked her to send that amount via Western Union. She did.
He then said he needed another $4,000. She sent just $2,000 and he immediately asked her where the other $2,000 was.
It was then she called police.
- Solar energy interest is heating up in Shorewood
- Shorewood's former Village Pub will reopen in May as Cloud Red
- Shorewood schools cracking down on false addresses
- Shorewood postpones decision on police department
- DeBlois, Lipo Zovic win for Shorewood School Board
- Bockhorst, Rozek win Shorewood trustee seats
- Burgers, ice cream planned at new Shorewood restaurant (3)
- 'Ghost Train' fundraiser held at Shorewood Culver's
- Sheldon Wasserman returns to politics
- Facilities, finances at issue in Shorewood School Board race