A resident reported being the victim of a scam June 4 after sending money to a person she met on match.com May 8.
According to the Shorewood police report:
She and the person, who said he was a contractor working on an oil pipeline, communicated by email, phone and instant messaging.
After a short time, that person on match.com said he needed $5,000 to continue his work and asked her to send that amount via Western Union. She did.
He then said he needed another $4,000. She sent just $2,000 and he immediately asked her where the other $2,000 was.
It was then she called police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 15-year-old boy attacked while walking in Shorewood
- North Shore Police Reports: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- Shorewood urges legislators to preserve Downer Woods (1)
- North Shore Police Reports: April 9, 2015
- Zovic, Amenta elected to Shorewood Village Board (2)
- Rodney Cain wins Shorewood School Board seat (1)
- Superintendent Lexmond leaves Shorewood for West Allis-West Milwaukee
- Shorewood planning a community-wide book discussion
- North Shore Police Reports: April 2, 2015