Shorewood officials are designing a master plan for Atwater Beach and applying for a grant to improve the area.
Grassroots organization Friends of Atwater Beach last month asked the Village Board to apply for a National Oceanic and Atmospheric grant.
If the grant is approved, Shorewood could receive $1 million, Village Manager Chris Swartz said.
Funds could go toward several projects, including reconstructing the bluff area, drainage improvements and reducing pollutants that come from the storm sewer system.
Village officials have been performing an ecological study along the beach.
"Preliminary findings from the study team's analysis of the northeast area stormwater and combined sewer systems indicated the presence of human sewage contamination," Director of Public Works Leeann Butschlick said during a Village Board meeting April 6.
Additional samples were taken during rainfall last week, Butschlick said, and results are pending.
It remains uncertain when the village will learn whether it has received funds for the grant.
"If we don't get the grant, we will have to look into this further," Schwartz said. "Where to go from here is the hard part."
Dave Fidlin can be reached at (262) 446-6603.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood robbery suspects face charges
- Shorewood School District raises $1 million for STEAM programs
- Build-your-own pizza place coming to Shorewood next year
- Shorewood families want to host Syrian refugees
- Plensa sculpture in Shorewood will be altered to remove anti-Semitic phrases
- Shorewood School Board expresses opposition to assembly bill on transgender students (1)
- Shorewood native spending college semester paddling Mississippi River
- Shorewood High School Orchestra to play side-by-side with Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
- Shorewood students highlight mental illness at Milwaukee Film Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015