Shorewood School District officials are projecting a $1 million shortfall in the 2009-10 budget.
Superintendent Blane McCann said several factors, including declining enrollment, led administrators to project the shortfall. When resident enrollment decreases, the amount of income the district receives is impacted adversely through a revenue limit calculation.
"We're projecting having 35 fewer students this coming school year," McCann said.
Increased costs for utilities and salaries also factored into the projected shortfall.
McCann declined to comment on specific cuts that are under consideration.
"I won't get into that now," he said in an April 10 interview. "That can wait for the next board meeting."
Plans call for administrators to present a list of recommended cuts to the School Board on Tuesday, April 21.
In a letter sent home to parents last week, McCann said the district remains committed to maintaining reasonable class sizes and continuing unique educational programs.
He said administrators will be looking for ways to generate additional revenue, in addition to exploring cost-cutting measures.
The budget will remain a work in progress in the coming months. Changes will be made throughout May, and updates are scheduled at future board meetings.
The board is slated to approve a preliminary 2009-10 budget Tuesday, June 23, although further changes could be made through October, when specific information, including concrete enrollment figures, is known.
- Dave Fidlin,
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Shorewood administrators will present budget recommendations to the School Board.
WHEN: 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 21
WHERE: Shorewood High School library, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Shorewood district staff will hold budget presentations and listening sessions for the community.
• 7 p.m. Thursday, April 23, in the Lake Bluff Elementary School cafetorium, 1600 E. Lake Bluff Blvd.
• 7 p.m. Monday, April 27, in the Shorewood High School auditorium, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch
- Plensa's 'Spillover II' sculpture returns to Atwater Park in Shorewood
- Artist Jaume Plensa insists on altering Shorewood sculpture
- Shorewood may allow urban beekeeping
- Joynt could be Shorewood's choice as curriculum director
- Waxwing boutique gift shop flies away from Shorewood (1)
- Waukesha South principal Timothy Joynt heading to Shorewood School District