Shorewood School District officials are projecting a $1 million shortfall in the 2009-10 budget.
Superintendent Blane McCann said several factors, including declining enrollment, led administrators to project the shortfall. When resident enrollment decreases, the amount of income the district receives is impacted adversely through a revenue limit calculation.
"We're projecting having 35 fewer students this coming school year," McCann said.
Increased costs for utilities and salaries also factored into the projected shortfall.
McCann declined to comment on specific cuts that are under consideration.
"I won't get into that now," he said in an April 10 interview. "That can wait for the next board meeting."
Plans call for administrators to present a list of recommended cuts to the School Board on Tuesday, April 21.
In a letter sent home to parents last week, McCann said the district remains committed to maintaining reasonable class sizes and continuing unique educational programs.
He said administrators will be looking for ways to generate additional revenue, in addition to exploring cost-cutting measures.
The budget will remain a work in progress in the coming months. Changes will be made throughout May, and updates are scheduled at future board meetings.
The board is slated to approve a preliminary 2009-10 budget Tuesday, June 23, although further changes could be made through October, when specific information, including concrete enrollment figures, is known.
- Dave Fidlin,
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Shorewood administrators will present budget recommendations to the School Board.
WHEN: 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 21
WHERE: Shorewood High School library, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Shorewood district staff will hold budget presentations and listening sessions for the community.
• 7 p.m. Thursday, April 23, in the Lake Bluff Elementary School cafetorium, 1600 E. Lake Bluff Blvd.
• 7 p.m. Monday, April 27, in the Shorewood High School auditorium, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
- Shorewood group encourages shoppers to bring their own bag
- Shorewood Criterium Classic set for June 23
- Shorewood trustees approve new police department
- Video: Bicyclist beats car in race from Shorewood to downtown
- Race car driver Hobbs will compete against Olympic cyclist Emery in Rider vs. Driver challenge
- Art students' mural about race relations removed from Shorewood High School (1)
- Shorewood's Cloud Red softly opens its doors (1)
- Sex assault reported in Shorewood
- Shorewood students get 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to meet celebrity alumni
- Shorewood students get buzz cuts for cancer