The Shorewood School District is going to lose more than $232,000 in state aid after a scheduling snafu by the district that resulted in intermediate school students attending classes for fewer hours than required by law.
The state Department of Public notified the district Tuesday that the aid will be deducted from the district's June 15 payment because of non-compliance with the number of instructional hours for Shorewood Intermediate School students.
On its Web site, the district said Shorewood officials will talk to the DPI about options regarding the decision.
"We are disappointed with the DPI ruling, which indicates that they will withhold state aid of $232,288," the district said. "We will continue to keep the public informed as we address this ruling including the possibility of schedule changes at the intermediate school."
In March, Superintendent Blane McCann notified the DPI of the district's plan to correct a deficiency in hours at the elementary, intermediate and high school levels for the 2008-09 school year. Changes were made to the district's calendar to bring the elementary and high school levels into compliance. However, the intermediate school remains 56 hours short of what is required by law.
In the DPI's response, it states the department was willing to waive the reported shortfall of 74 hours for the intermediate school for the 2007-08 school year based on the expectation the schedule would be corrected for the 2008-09 school year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood concert series debuts July 8
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- No injuries in Shorewood apartment fire
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- Shorewood hires Bryan Davis as superintendent
- Shorewood weighs in on Estabrook Dam debate
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- Frank Lloyd Wright house uncovered in Shorewood (2)
- GoPro Video: Watch Olympic cyclist Brent Emery take on a car in a race from Shorewood to downtown (13)
- Shorewood expands bike parking into street