Shorewood - The Village Board on Monday night will consider creating a loan program aimed at improving housing stock.
The board also will consider hiring a consultant to develop a program aimed at retaining and recruiting retail businesses.
The Neighborhood Improvement Loan Program would be aimed at "enhancing Shorewood's aging housing stock, maintaining the rate of owner-occupied housing units and increasing the number of family-supporting housing" units, according to a memo from Ericka Lang, the village's planning and zoning administrator.
According to the memo:
Loans would be for down payment assistance for homeowners, for improvements to the attics and exteriors of homes, and for the conversion of two-family dwellings into single-family homes.
The program would be funded with $346,500 in village funds. Up to 39 loans, ranging from $4,000 to $20,000, would be available. The interest rate would be zero and the loan would be payable when the property is sold, refinanced or is no longer owner-occupied.
Borrowers would be eligible based on whether their property is worth less than the average of the fair market value for the same-size dwellings in the village, Lang said Monday.
If the board approves the program, the loan applications could be offered within a matter of days, she said.
The village Community Development Authority would oversee the program, and North Shore Bank would handle the loans.
The retail proposal is for a $32,000 contract to be awarded to Business Districts Inc. of Evanston, Ill. The consultant would develop a program aimed at retaining and recruiting retail businesses.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- Shorewood man accused of voter fraud pleads insanity
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Four suspects arrested in Oak Leaf Trail robbery
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- Bowen wins 10th Assembly District primary
- Bublr bike-share coming to Shorewood
- North Shore Police Reports: August 14, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: August 7, 2014