Shorewood — There will be another reason to drink to the last drop at Last Drop, a coffee shop that will morph into a more European-style coffee house with the addition of a liquor license.
David Harling, the owner of the business at 3801 N. Oakland Ave., wants to be able to add liquor and liqueurs to coffee, creating beverages such as Irish coffee, to serve at his Last Drop.
The board granted Harling a Class B license which allows him to serve beer, wine and alcoholic beverages although he told the Judiciary Personnel & Licensing Committee it is not his intent to operate a bar, but a coffee house. Food is also served at the business.
Trustees had some concerns. Students from Shorewood High School are customers. They would be able to continue to patronize the business, but could not have the punched-up coffees.
Police Chief David Banaszynski said he always in concerned about a business that serves alcohol and has underage patrons.
"Enforcement is very difficult," he said. "What am I supposed to do, sniff every cup of coffee?"
The village has 14 Class B licenses and will have only one remaining. The burned-out Brit Inn also holds a license but the future of that license in unknown.
The limited number of licenses left concerned some trustees who believe a new development on the north end of the village may require a liquor license. However, Village Manager Chris Swartz said the village also holds eight reserve licenses it can issue for a $10,000 fee.
"In terms of redevelopment, the number of licenses is not an issue," he said.
Harling plans to serve the alcohol-enhanced coffees after 4 p.m.
Last Drop has outdoor seating in warmer months and he will be able to serve all beverages outside.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction begins on Shorewood Metro Market project
- Shorewood school superintendent is a finalist for West Allis-West Milwaukee job
- Shorewood pushes back school start time
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- Shorewood teacher named Wisconsin VFW Middle School Teacher of the Year
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 19, 2015
- Shorewood parents express vote of no confidence in school administration (3)
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 12, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 5, 2015
- Shorewood woman dies after jumping off Hoan Bridge