Several areas in Shorewood suffered major damage in last night's storms, including Atwater Beach and Hubbard Park, according to a news release from the village.
Erosion has damaged the bluff at Atwater Beach as well as the ground under the stairs leading to the beach. Village officials plan to call in an engineer to assess the damage.
The lower turnaround at Hubbard Park on the Milwaukee River has severe erosion damage. The area has been blocked off, and residents are asked to stay away.
The Milwaukee County bicycle path from Capitol Drive to Edgewood also was damaged and is closed until the extent of the damage can be determined.
Numerous homes and municipal buildings suffered substantial water damage, as did several vehicles, according to the news release. However, no injuries were reported.
The Shorewood Police Department assisted more than 20 people who were trapped in their cars due to high water.
The Department of Public Works plans to collect flood-damaged items at no cost to residents. Items should be placed at the curb for pickup.
The village says residents who have items in their basements that need to be dried out should dry those items in their garages. To that end, the Police Department has lifted its overnight parking restrictions until Aug. 2 to help residents who need the garage space.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood approves beekeeping ordinance
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch
- Plensa's 'Spillover II' sculpture returns to Atwater Park in Shorewood
- Artist Jaume Plensa insists on altering Shorewood sculpture
- Shorewood may allow urban beekeeping
- Joynt could be Shorewood's choice as curriculum director
- Waxwing boutique gift shop flies away from Shorewood (1)