The Brown Deer School Board approved a health insurance plan tonight that slightly modifies benefits but represents a savings of more than $84,000 over the current plan, which was set to increase by 3 percent.
The district buys its health insurance through the Wisconsin Counties Association
Premium costs will decrease in most cases by a $1 depending on the type of coverage. Co pays for second and third tier prescription drug coverage will increase from $20 to $30 and $40 to $50 respectively. Urgent care co pays will increase from $10 to $25.
The current policy includes a waiver of premium for an employee who would become permanently disabled while on the job but the new policy does not include the waiver. Finance Director Emily Koczela said the waiver was last used in the district in 2004.
Employees who take health insurance will continue to pay a $249 in-network deductible for single coverage and a $500 deductible for a family. There is a $10 copay for office visits.
Hospital services are totally covered after the deductible is met. There is a $100 copay for emergency room services with the remainder covered by the plan. Preventiive care is 100 percent covered.
The annual premium for health insurance policy for the upcoming year is $2,829,021.
Member Lisa Zielinski expressed concern about adopting the health insurance plan before knowing more about the 2012-2013 budget.
Koczela said she if confident the cost will fit into the budget but, if necessary, adjustments to the insurance plan can be made in July after the preliminary budget has been prepared.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood robbery suspects face charges
- Shorewood School District raises $1 million for STEAM programs
- Build-your-own pizza place coming to Shorewood next year
- Shorewood families want to host Syrian refugees
- Plensa sculpture in Shorewood will be altered to remove anti-Semitic phrases
- Shorewood School Board expresses opposition to assembly bill on transgender students (1)
- Shorewood native spending college semester paddling Mississippi River
- Shorewood High School Orchestra to play side-by-side with Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
- Shorewood students highlight mental illness at Milwaukee Film Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015