Softball: Seven-run outburst guides Greyhounds to victory; Shorewood begins WIAA postseason action today
Shorewood used a seven-run first inning to whip Wauwatosa West, 12-2, May 9.
"We came out very strong and with the right amount of intensity," Shorewood coach Dave Berghaus said. "(Roxanne) Kruger kept them guessing with a solid outing, striking out five with a walk. As I have said all season our kids come out and play hard. Hopefully with two solid games this week we can finish strong and take this into the playoffs."
Shorewood began this week 8-10 overall and 5-9 in the Woodland Conference and received the fifth seed in the WIAA regional, where they'll play at fourth-seeded New Berlin West at 4 p.m. today, May 15. The winner plays at top-seeded New Berlin Eisenhower at 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 20.
Athena Naylor's leadoff triple and Kaitlyn Wick's two-run double highlighted the seven-run first vs. Wauwatosa West.
Naylor Peterson and freshman Celia Carroll had three hits each, while Wick and Justine Chappa added two apiece. Catcher Helen Juffer threw out her fourth attempted base-stealer in five games.
New Berlin Eisenhower blanked the Greyhounds, 7-0, May 6 at Shorewood, and Pewaukee beat the Greyhounds, 13-2, two days later.
Juffer and Gabby Llave had Shorewood's only hits against Eisenhower.
Kruger fanned six in six innings at Pewaukee as the Pirates scored eight runs in the third to put the game out of reach.
Peterson led the way with three hits, including a triple, and Helen Juffer added two hits.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore 911 callers to receive lifesaving CPR instructions
- North Shore Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Three-day bus stoppage sends North Shore riders scrambling for transportation alternatives
- Shorewood concert series debuts July 8
- Fourth of July events in the North Shore
- Burglary suspects allegedly target Bay couple at funeral
- Shorewood hires Bryan Davis as superintendent
- Shorewood weighs in on Estabrook Dam debate
- Frank Lloyd Wright house uncovered in Shorewood (2)
- GoPro Video: Watch Olympic cyclist Brent Emery take on a car in a race from Shorewood to downtown (13)