Shorewood's doubles team of junior John Chamberlain and sophomore Jake Miller used the momentum they had at season's end to finish fourth at the WIAA State Individual Tennis Tournament on May 29 to 31 at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.
Chamberlain and Miller beat Ryan Fahrnow and Kyual Cribben of Big Foot/Williams Bay (6-1, 7-6(3)) in the first round and advanced further by beating Matt Joost and Paolo Pahm of The Prairie School (6-3, 5-7, 6-3) in the second round.
On Saturday, they beat fourth-seeded Matthew Schmitz and Nick Acosta of Appleton Xavier (2-6, 6-3, 6-3).
"They beat two teams (Xavier and Prairie School) who they lost to during the regular season," Shorewood coach Erik Zipp said.
Chamberlain and Miller then lost to top-seeded Ryan Stewart and Sam Walker of University School of Milwaukee (6-4, 6-2).
In the third-place match, the Shorewood pair lost to Michael Knabel and Colin Johnson of Kohler (7-5, 6-4).
"They had some big wins along the way," Zipp said. "They really got over the hump in sectionals. They won some tough matches and got some quality wins."
Zipp will only lose Myles Gikling and Will McCann to graduation.
"Our goal was to do as best as we could in conference," Zipp said. "We finished with a 4-3 conference record and third in the conference tournament which was very good for such a young team."
- Milwaukee's first surf shop rides into Shorewood (3)
- Development is off the table in Wilson Drive discussions
- North Shore Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- NOW's user submitted stories, photos will be discontinued in early August
- Bublr makes push for extra bike rental stations in Shorewood
- North Shore Police Reports July 14, 2016
- Three Lions Pub, Camp Bar allowed to have patio seating on the street
- North Shore Police Reports, July 7, 2016
- North Shore farmers markets evolve with new offerings
- Construction delayed on Shorewood ice cream shop (6)