Shorewood's doubles team of junior John Chamberlain and sophomore Jake Miller used the momentum they had at season's end to finish fourth at the WIAA State Individual Tennis Tournament on May 29 to 31 at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.
Chamberlain and Miller beat Ryan Fahrnow and Kyual Cribben of Big Foot/Williams Bay (6-1, 7-6(3)) in the first round and advanced further by beating Matt Joost and Paolo Pahm of The Prairie School (6-3, 5-7, 6-3) in the second round.
On Saturday, they beat fourth-seeded Matthew Schmitz and Nick Acosta of Appleton Xavier (2-6, 6-3, 6-3).
"They beat two teams (Xavier and Prairie School) who they lost to during the regular season," Shorewood coach Erik Zipp said.
Chamberlain and Miller then lost to top-seeded Ryan Stewart and Sam Walker of University School of Milwaukee (6-4, 6-2).
In the third-place match, the Shorewood pair lost to Michael Knabel and Colin Johnson of Kohler (7-5, 6-4).
"They had some big wins along the way," Zipp said. "They really got over the hump in sectionals. They won some tough matches and got some quality wins."
Zipp will only lose Myles Gikling and Will McCann to graduation.
"Our goal was to do as best as we could in conference," Zipp said. "We finished with a 4-3 conference record and third in the conference tournament which was very good for such a young team."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Four Democrats running to represent Shorewood
- Milwaukee's oldest house reopened
- Senior living center breaks ground in Shorewood
- Shorewood's new advancement officer pioneering a possible trend in school fundraising
- Software company gets $200K village loan
- Video: Shorewood residents upset about six-story building
- Nicolet alum pedaling against poverty
- Turning a village into a board game
- In Shorewood, a World Cup soccer haven
- Shorewood has beer garden fever