The Shorewood baseball team will begin the WIAA postseason against the sectional’s top-rated team — Cedarburg — on the Bulldogs’ home field.
The eighth-seeded Greyhounds (4-21) visit Cedarburg at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 22. The winner faces either fourth-seeded Whitefish Bay or fifth seeded Brown Deer in a sectional semifinal at 10:30 a.m. Friday, July 25, also at Cedarburg. The sectional final is the same day at 4:30 p.m.
The Greyhounds, riding a five-game losing streak, will conclude the regular season against Brookfield Central at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 19, at McCoy Field.
Shorewood dropped a 7-1 decision to Brown Deer on July 8, at home and then were swept in a twinbill at New Berlin Eisenhower, 7-0 and 5-4, July 14 to open the week.
Shorewood's Josh Rathkamp pitched well in the first game against Eisenhower, but two errors in the six-run third inning led to four unearned runs. He pitched six innings and scattered 10 hits.
Rathkamp's first-inning bunt single was Shorewood's only hit as the Greyhounds struck out 12 times.
In the nightcap, Shorewood had only one hit through the first four innings and trailed, 5-1, going into the seventh inning before a three-run rally fell short.
Pinch-runner Stephen Weyer scored on a wild pitch and Rathkamp ripped a two-run double to cut Eisenhower's lead to 5-4 before the Lions got the final batter to fly out to end the game.
Against Brown Deer, Shorewood trailed, 2-1, after three innings before the Falcons scored single runs in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings and two more in the seventh.
Malachi Krishok, who was injured and did not play against Eisenhower, pitched the entire game for Shorewood, singled and drove in the Greyhounds' only run.
Shorewood made four errors and Falcons stole seven bases.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police situation closes I-43 ramp
- County Board Chair Lipscomb claims 43 parks in danger of being sold
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- North Shore Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- North Shore Police Reports, Jan. 28, 2016
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- North Shore Police Reports, Jan. 21, 2016
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch