The Shorewood baseball team will begin the WIAA postseason against the sectional’s top-rated team — Cedarburg — on the Bulldogs’ home field.
The eighth-seeded Greyhounds (4-21) visit Cedarburg at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 22. The winner faces either fourth-seeded Whitefish Bay or fifth seeded Brown Deer in a sectional semifinal at 10:30 a.m. Friday, July 25, also at Cedarburg. The sectional final is the same day at 4:30 p.m.
The Greyhounds, riding a five-game losing streak, will conclude the regular season against Brookfield Central at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 19, at McCoy Field.
Shorewood dropped a 7-1 decision to Brown Deer on July 8, at home and then were swept in a twinbill at New Berlin Eisenhower, 7-0 and 5-4, July 14 to open the week.
Shorewood's Josh Rathkamp pitched well in the first game against Eisenhower, but two errors in the six-run third inning led to four unearned runs. He pitched six innings and scattered 10 hits.
Rathkamp's first-inning bunt single was Shorewood's only hit as the Greyhounds struck out 12 times.
In the nightcap, Shorewood had only one hit through the first four innings and trailed, 5-1, going into the seventh inning before a three-run rally fell short.
Pinch-runner Stephen Weyer scored on a wild pitch and Rathkamp ripped a two-run double to cut Eisenhower's lead to 5-4 before the Lions got the final batter to fly out to end the game.
Against Brown Deer, Shorewood trailed, 2-1, after three innings before the Falcons scored single runs in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings and two more in the seventh.
Malachi Krishok, who was injured and did not play against Eisenhower, pitched the entire game for Shorewood, singled and drove in the Greyhounds' only run.
Shorewood made four errors and Falcons stole seven bases.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore 911 callers to receive lifesaving CPR instructions
- North Shore Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Three-day bus stoppage sends North Shore riders scrambling for transportation alternatives
- Shorewood concert series debuts July 8
- Fourth of July events in the North Shore
- Burglary suspects allegedly target Bay couple at funeral
- Shorewood hires Bryan Davis as superintendent
- Shorewood weighs in on Estabrook Dam debate
- Frank Lloyd Wright house uncovered in Shorewood (2)
- GoPro Video: Watch Olympic cyclist Brent Emery take on a car in a race from Shorewood to downtown (13)