Shorewood residents could have an opportunity to offer input on statewide health care reform legislation during the November election.
Resident Dave Weingrod, a member of the activist organization Wisconsin Citizen Action, came before the Village Board on Aug. 4 and discussed his interest in having a question included on the presidential ballot.
It would read: “Shall the next state Legislature enact health care reform legislation by Dec. 31, 2009, that guarantees to every Wisconsin resident affordable health coverage as good as what is provided to state legislators?”
Village Attorney Raymond Pollen suggested the board not take action on Weingrod’s request at this time. Instead, Weingrod and other Citizen Action members could petition residents. If 1,070, or about 15 percent of the village’s voting population, signs the petition, it would go before the village clerk for review.
Because the issue affects a level of government above the Shorewood Village Board’s powers, the question would be considered advisory.
“In other words, this wouldn’t be a part of Shorewood’s laws,” Pollen said.
Shorewood had a referendum on the April 2006 ballot when voters were asked whether troops should be immediately withdrawn from Iraq. More than 70 percent of Shorewood residents voted “yes.”
A decision of whether to have the advisory referendum in November would have to be made by Tuesday, Sept. 23.
Dave Fidlin can be reached at (262) 446-6603.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood TIF district nears finish line
- Construction begins on Shorewood Metro Market project
- Shorewood pushes back school start time
- Shorewood school superintendent is a finalist for West Allis-West Milwaukee job
- Very low turnout reported in North Shore for primary election
- Shorewood teacher named Wisconsin VFW Middle School Teacher of the Year
- North Shore schools concerned about Walker's proposed budget cuts
- North Shore schools proactive against potential measles outbreak
- Shorewood parents express vote of no confidence in school administration (3)
- Shorewood woman dies after jumping off Hoan Bridge