Shorewood residents could have an opportunity to offer input on statewide health care reform legislation during the November election.
Resident Dave Weingrod, a member of the activist organization Wisconsin Citizen Action, came before the Village Board on Aug. 4 and discussed his interest in having a question included on the presidential ballot.
It would read: “Shall the next state Legislature enact health care reform legislation by Dec. 31, 2009, that guarantees to every Wisconsin resident affordable health coverage as good as what is provided to state legislators?”
Village Attorney Raymond Pollen suggested the board not take action on Weingrod’s request at this time. Instead, Weingrod and other Citizen Action members could petition residents. If 1,070, or about 15 percent of the village’s voting population, signs the petition, it would go before the village clerk for review.
Because the issue affects a level of government above the Shorewood Village Board’s powers, the question would be considered advisory.
“In other words, this wouldn’t be a part of Shorewood’s laws,” Pollen said.
Shorewood had a referendum on the April 2006 ballot when voters were asked whether troops should be immediately withdrawn from Iraq. More than 70 percent of Shorewood residents voted “yes.”
A decision of whether to have the advisory referendum in November would have to be made by Tuesday, Sept. 23.
Dave Fidlin can be reached at (262) 446-6603.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood Pick 'n Save closure boosts business at Sendik's (1)
- Shorewood schools receive $1.5 million grant
- Shorewood hires Burlington police chief to lead department
- Shorewood School Board asks legislators to increase school funding
- Shorewood plants seed for farmers market
- North Shore Legion Hall gets a makeover
- Rodney Cain wins Shorewood School Board seat (2)
- Zovic, Amenta elected to Shorewood Village Board (3)
- Referendums pass in Mequon-Thiensville, Fox Point-Bayside
- Shorewood urges legislators to preserve Downer Woods (2)