A year after surprising the state’s prep girls golf world by qualifying for state in its first season, the Whitefish Bay/Shorewood co-op is off to another good start by winning the Mukwonago Invite on Aug. 19.
“And we did that without our full varsity team,” coach Bryan Rech said. “We’re going to have a pretty strong team again. We lost (top player) Lauren Gault (to graduation) but we’re still in pretty good shape.”
The team has 12 girls out this fall and is led by four returnees from the eighth-place state squad. They include senior Grace Caird, junior Keeley Wallis and sophomores Molly Baron and Leslie Fuda.
Others competing for spots are sophomores Emma Caird, Maddie Mittelstadt and Katherine Matkom.
“The kids are excited about making another run at state,” Rech said, “and there was a lot of practicing going on over the summer.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police situation closes I-43 ramp
- County Board Chair Lipscomb claims 43 parks in danger of being sold
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- North Shore Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- North Shore Police Reports, Jan. 28, 2016
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- North Shore Police Reports, Jan. 21, 2016
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch