Shorewood - North Shore Fire and Rescue crews rescued a Shorewood resident from the second floor of a burning structure on the 2700 block of East Jarvis Avenue in the early morning hours on Saturday.
The resident was treated by paramedics on scene and transported to Columbia-St. Mary's-Milwaukee with smoke inhalation and burns. Injuries did not appear to be life threatening, according to a news release from the North Shore Fire Department.
According to the release:
Crews were dispatched to the 2700 block of East Jarvis Avenue at 2:23 a.m. Saturday for a structure fire that resulted in the death of a dog and $150,000 in damage to the structure and contents inside the home. First responders found heavy smoke and fire coming from the second floor of the structure when they saw a single occupant out on the balcony of the second floor of the home.
A ground ladder was used to rescue the resident immediately. Interior attack crews extinguished the fire on the second floor shortly after the rescue.
The second floor of the home is considered a total loss and the lower level sustained moderate damage from smoke and water. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Smoke detectors were operating and alerted the resident to the fire.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction begins on Shorewood Metro Market project
- Shorewood school superintendent is a finalist for West Allis-West Milwaukee job
- Shorewood pushes back school start time
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- Shorewood teacher named Wisconsin VFW Middle School Teacher of the Year
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 19, 2015
- Shorewood parents express vote of no confidence in school administration (3)
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 12, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Feb. 5, 2015
- Shorewood woman dies after jumping off Hoan Bridge