Shorewood - Shorewood residents will have the opportunity to weigh in on the school district's 2013-14 budget planning twice this month through community input sessions.
In a budget update to the School Board on Tuesday, Business Services Director Mark Boehlke said the projected budget shortfall has been significantly reduced, from what was originally projected at $435,000 to about $39,400.
Several factors are contributing to this change, Boehlke said, including turnover savings resulting from teacher retirements, the elimination of a sixth-grade section at Atwater Elementary due to enrollment changes, a lower anticipated health insurance rate increase of 4 percent, versus 7 percent, and the conversion of additional employees to paying 12.6 percent of their health insurance premiums, up from 5 percent.
Teacher salary increases currently are being set at 2 percent for the purposes of planning, Boehlke said, but that amount could change.
Other factors still need to be considered in planning, Boehlke said, such as a potential need for additional staff support for English Language Learners and students with cognitive and learning disabilities, implementation of alternative high school programming, the filling of vacant positions, and whether to budget for Health Reimbursement Arrangement contributions in lieu of defined teacher benefits.
The district's goal is to develop a balanced budget that supports the district's five-year financial plan.
The board will be asked to consider approving a preliminary 2013-14 budget recommendation in March, Superintendent Martin Lexmond said. This is earlier than usual, he said, primarily to give administration the ability to hire new teachers sooner, in order to recruit the best.
At a glance
WHAT: community input sessions for Shorewood School District 2013-14 budgeting
WHEN: 8:30 a.m. Thursday WHERE: Atwater Early Elementary Center, 2100 E. Capitol Drive
WHEN: 7 p.m. Tuesday
WHERE: library of Shorewood High School, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood approves beekeeping ordinance
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch
- Plensa's 'Spillover II' sculpture returns to Atwater Park in Shorewood
- Artist Jaume Plensa insists on altering Shorewood sculpture
- Shorewood may allow urban beekeeping
- Joynt could be Shorewood's choice as curriculum director
- Waxwing boutique gift shop flies away from Shorewood (1)