Shorewood — The Shorewood Cycling Criterium Classic will be held Thursday, June 19, kicking off the largest competitive cycling event in the U.S.
The event is the beginning of the Tour of America's Dairyland, an 11-race series featuring professional and amateur cyclists competing in cities throughout Wisconsin from June 19 through June 29. The high-energy competition featuring local, regional, national and international racers will shut down most of Oakland Avenue on Thursday afternoon and night.
This year's route will be moved to accommodate road construction on Murray Avenue. The race begins at Oakland Avenue south of Kensington Boulevard, then goes west on Marion Street, north on Morris Boulevard, east on Kensington Boulevard then south on Oakland Avenue.
Category 2/3 cyclists kick off the races at 4:25 p.m., followed by a women's pro race at 5:25 p.m., a kid's roll at 6:25 p.m. and the men's pro race at 7 p.m.
Three Lions Pub will sponsor a block party from 2-10 p.m. in the Kensington Square area at Oakland Avenue and Kensington Boulevard, where there are no shortage of nearby bars, restaurants and shopping opportunities. A DJ will play from 2-5 p.m., and the band Mic Over Matter will play from 5-8:30 p.m.
For the first time, Shorewood BID will host a bike-oriented fashion show at 9 p.m. on the Kensington Square stage. Shorewood men, women and teens will model the latest summer biking fashions and accessories from local stores.
"There's nothing like the excitement of this fast-paced cycling Criterium experience and paired with great food and drink, music and shopping, this is a not-to-be-missed Shorewood summer event," said Jim Plaisted, the executive director of the Shorewood Business Improvement District.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood concert series debuts July 8
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- No injuries in Shorewood apartment fire
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- Shorewood hires Bryan Davis as superintendent
- Shorewood weighs in on Estabrook Dam debate
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- Frank Lloyd Wright house uncovered in Shorewood (2)
- GoPro Video: Watch Olympic cyclist Brent Emery take on a car in a race from Shorewood to downtown (13)
- Shorewood expands bike parking into street