The American Red Cross has set up an emergency shelter at the Shorewood High School, 1701 E. Capitol Drive, due to a power outage in the Shorewood area.
The shelter will have cots and is providing food, comfort and a cool place to stay.
A news release from Red Cross asked for neighbors to check on neighbors if they don't have power as it is still very hot.
Sometime before 7 p.m., a transformer in Shorewood near Capitol Drive and Oakland Avenue blew and started on fire causing a power outage in the area.
At nearby Shorewood High School, when the power came back on, the fire boiler reacted in "emergency mode." The flange on the pipe broke, causing flooding in the performing arts building's basement with some flooding in the orchestra room as well. The pipe was shut off relatively quickly, according to information given at a Shorewood School Board meeting that took place tonight at the high school.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Joanne Lipo Zovic appointed to Shorewood School Board
- Seniors invited to free retirement information programs at Shorewood Senior Resource Center
- Shorewood man thankful for Stars and Stripes Honor Flight
- Atwater School in Shorewood celebrates 100 years
- Shorewood High School sophomore catches a "lucky" break
- Six candidates apply for Shorewood school board seat
- Shorewood sketches details for plein air art festival
- Some Shorewood residents feel shut out by school board participation policy
- Shorewood school budget nearly derailed over public comment policy change (4)