Man, involved in police standoff, charged with disorderly conduct, battery
Suspect was involved with police standoff in June
Shorewood — A Shorewood man was charged on July 11 for disorderly conduct and battery for allegedly hitting his girlfriend at a bus stop in February, charges that came to light after the man was arrested for his involvement in a standoff with police in June.
Marquis Chapman, 28, was charged by the Milwaukee County Circuit Court with two misdemeanor charges for allegedly hitting his girlfriend, 21, in the face at a bus stop in February. The woman and Chapman were arrested on June 21 when police engaged in a tactical situation on the 3500 block of North Oakland Avenue after police were called to the scene for a domestic dispute. The standoff ended peacefully and no charges have been filed in that case.
A phone call Chapman placed while in custody led to police reviewing the February incident at the bus stop, according to the criminal complaint.
According to the criminal complaint:
In mid-February a Shorewood Police Department officer was dispatched to Oakland and Edgewood avenues after a man called 911 and stated he witnessed a domestic dispute outside. Police found the 21-year-old woman, who said she had been struck in the face at the bus stop by an unknown male. No arrests were made at the time.
After the June 21 arrest, police questioned the woman and Chapman about prior calls involving both of them. When asked about the incident at the bus stop, Chapman told a detective that "he simply pushed her." He told police that his girlfriend told him to leave the scene so he would not get in trouble.
In a phone call Chapman placed while in custody June 22 to his grandmother, who then placed a three-way call with his girlfriend, Chapman referenced the February incident, which led to the two misdemeanor charges.
Chapman faces increased jail time due to a previous criminal conviction. He could be fined up to $11,000 and up to four years in prison or both.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood approves beekeeping ordinance
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch
- Plensa's 'Spillover II' sculpture returns to Atwater Park in Shorewood
- Artist Jaume Plensa insists on altering Shorewood sculpture
- Shorewood may allow urban beekeeping
- Joynt could be Shorewood's choice as curriculum director
- Waxwing boutique gift shop flies away from Shorewood (1)