Shorewood police are investigating the murder of 57-year-old Clarence W. Charles, who was found dead in his Oakland Avenue apartment Tuesday evening.
Charles had been reported missing, prompting police to check his apartment, according to a Shorewood police news release.
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and ruled the death a homicide, the first to happen in Shorewood in 20 years.
Shorewood police have requested assistance from the Wisconsin Crime Lab and the Wisconsin Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigations.
"We are currently investigating the incident and several possible leads in the case," Shorewood police said in the release. "We do not believe that this was a random act and do not believe that the residents of Shorewood are in danger."
Charles was an employee of Roundy's Supermarkets Inc., as a deli clerk at a Milwaukee Metro Market.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our employee, Clarence Charles," a Roundy's representative wrote in a statement. "Above all else, our thoughts and condolensces are with his family during this difficult time."
Police are not offering further comment at present, saying the department's focus is fully on the murder investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- Fire at Shorewood apartment building likely caused by unattended candle
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015
- Sydney b. opens second store in Shorewood
- Winter's not through with us yet
- North Shore Police Reports: May 7, 2015
- Shorewood principal retires after 24 years
- Shorewood rehab facility to reopen with new approach
- Shorewood Pick 'n Save closure boosts business at Sendik's (1)
- Shorewood schools receive $1.5 million grant