Shorewood police are investigating the murder of 57-year-old Clarence W. Charles, who was found dead in his Oakland Avenue apartment Tuesday evening.
Charles had been reported missing, prompting police to check his apartment, according to a Shorewood police news release.
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and ruled the death a homicide, the first to happen in Shorewood in 20 years.
Shorewood police have requested assistance from the Wisconsin Crime Lab and the Wisconsin Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigations.
"We are currently investigating the incident and several possible leads in the case," Shorewood police said in the release. "We do not believe that this was a random act and do not believe that the residents of Shorewood are in danger."
Charles was an employee of Roundy's Supermarkets Inc., as a deli clerk at a Milwaukee Metro Market.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our employee, Clarence Charles," a Roundy's representative wrote in a statement. "Above all else, our thoughts and condolensces are with his family during this difficult time."
Police are not offering further comment at present, saying the department's focus is fully on the murder investigation.
- 12-year-old Shorewood journalist gets her scoop at the Republican National Convention
- 92-year-old Shorewood building will be torn down to make way for North Shore Bank building (1)
- Milwaukee's first surf shop rides into Shorewood (3)
- Development is off the table in Wilson Drive discussions
- Bublr makes push for extra bike rental stations in Shorewood
- Three Lions Pub, Camp Bar allowed to have patio seating on the street
- Construction delayed on Shorewood ice cream shop (6)
- Shorewood group encourages shoppers to bring their own bag
- Shorewood Criterium Classic set for June 23
- Shorewood trustees approve new police department