Shorewood police are investigating the murder of 57-year-old Clarence W. Charles, who was found dead in his Oakland Avenue apartment Tuesday evening.
Charles had been reported missing, prompting police to check his apartment, according to a Shorewood police news release.
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy and ruled the death a homicide, the first to happen in Shorewood in 20 years.
Shorewood police have requested assistance from the Wisconsin Crime Lab and the Wisconsin Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigations.
"We are currently investigating the incident and several possible leads in the case," Shorewood police said in the release. "We do not believe that this was a random act and do not believe that the residents of Shorewood are in danger."
Charles was an employee of Roundy's Supermarkets Inc., as a deli clerk at a Milwaukee Metro Market.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our employee, Clarence Charles," a Roundy's representative wrote in a statement. "Above all else, our thoughts and condolensces are with his family during this difficult time."
Police are not offering further comment at present, saying the department's focus is fully on the murder investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shorewood residents weigh in on master plan proposal
- North Shore Police Reports: October 30, 2014
- Shorewood Intermediate School Principal Mark Harris dies after medical emergency
- North Shore Police Reports: October 23, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 9, 2014
- Shorewood parking tickets go digital
- Shorewood CDA changes approach with Wilson townhomes
- Celebrate Biketoberfest on Thursday
- Shorewood Library wants kids to 'Play, Learn, Grow'