Shorewood - After nearly five years without one, the school district has hired a full-time administrator to oversee curriculum development.
The School Board on Tuesday approved a request by Superintendent Marty Lexmond to hire Tabia Nicholas for the position of executive director of curriculum, instruction and public services.
Deb Taylor was the last administrator to serve full-time in the administrative role. She resigned from the position late in 2007, and in subsequent years Taylor's responsibilities were dolled out to other administrators.
Nicholas has a lengthy resume in education, including 11 years as an administrator in the Menomonee Falls and Waukesha school districts. She currently serves as the director of instruction of Waukesha's three high schools.
"Shorewood has a stellar reputation," Nicholas said as she appeared before board members this week. "I'm excited to be a part of the community. We'll do good things. It will be fun."
The road to resuming a full-time administrator devoted to curriculum has been long amid ongoing fiscal restraints for the district. After years of debate, the board last month decided to give Lexmond authority to seek out an applicant.
Lexmond said the district received 73 applications for the position. The pool was whittled down to four candidates. Each building principal was involved in the process.
"What impressed the interview panels are Dr. Nicholas' passion for education and children and her proven experience in closing achievement gaps between higher and lower performing students," Lexmond said.
Nicholas holds a bachelor's degree in secondary education and French from Lincoln University in Pennsylvania, a master's in middle school teaching from Alverno College and a doctorate in educational leadership from Nova Southeastern University in Florida.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch
- Plensa's 'Spillover II' sculpture returns to Atwater Park in Shorewood
- Artist Jaume Plensa insists on altering Shorewood sculpture
- Shorewood may allow urban beekeeping
- Joynt could be Shorewood's choice as curriculum director
- Waxwing boutique gift shop flies away from Shorewood (1)
- Waukesha South principal Timothy Joynt heading to Shorewood School District