Staff, Open Enrollment changes proposed for next year
Budget work will continue through the summer
Shorewood - The School Board is poised to approve the district's preliminary 2012-13 budget.
The board on Tuesday heard an update on the budget from Superintendent Blane McCann. The board will be asked to approve a preliminary budget June 26.
McCann highlighted some of the main changes proposed since the board was last updated at the end of May, including the addition of a sixth-grade teacher at Atwater and instructional aides at Lake Bluff, the elimination of a half-time 4-year-old kindergarten teacher at Lake Bluff, the reallocation of an FTE position at Lake Bluff to the high school, and the addition of six Open Enrollment seats in the district.
McCann explained that the addition of Open Enrollment seats will increase the district's revenue slightly, helping offset an approximately $112,800 loss in Open Enrollment per pupil revenue.
Board member David Cobb expressed concern about a recommendation to eliminate payment for teacher credits, at a savings of about $28,000.
"We've done so much to take things away from teachers already," Cobb said, noting that this change may not be worthwhile for a relatively small cost savings.
Fellow board members agreed they would like more information on the payment for teacher credits and how the benefit is being used.
District staff will take board input into consideration as it hones the preliminary budget.
Should the district choose not to approve the preliminary budget at the end of this month, Business Services Director Mark Boehlke would prepare a resolution that would allow the district to begin spending money July 1, McCann said.
The preliminary budget will be modified as directed by the board until a proposed budget is presented at the September annual meeting. The final budget will then go to the board for approval in October.
WHAT:School Board approval of preliminary 2012-13 budget
WHEN: 7 p.m. June 26
WHERE: Shorewood High School library, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Shorewood will present 'American Idiot' musical based on Green Day album
- Shorewood library hires new director
- Shorewood School District will gather community input at 'summit' events
- Shorewood man allegedly slammed infant son on couch
- Plensa's 'Spillover II' sculpture returns to Atwater Park in Shorewood
- Artist Jaume Plensa insists on altering Shorewood sculpture
- Shorewood may allow urban beekeeping
- Joynt could be Shorewood's choice as curriculum director
- Waxwing boutique gift shop flies away from Shorewood (1)
- Waukesha South principal Timothy Joynt heading to Shorewood School District