Staff, Open Enrollment changes proposed for next year
Budget work will continue through the summer
Shorewood - The School Board is poised to approve the district's preliminary 2012-13 budget.
The board on Tuesday heard an update on the budget from Superintendent Blane McCann. The board will be asked to approve a preliminary budget June 26.
McCann highlighted some of the main changes proposed since the board was last updated at the end of May, including the addition of a sixth-grade teacher at Atwater and instructional aides at Lake Bluff, the elimination of a half-time 4-year-old kindergarten teacher at Lake Bluff, the reallocation of an FTE position at Lake Bluff to the high school, and the addition of six Open Enrollment seats in the district.
McCann explained that the addition of Open Enrollment seats will increase the district's revenue slightly, helping offset an approximately $112,800 loss in Open Enrollment per pupil revenue.
Board member David Cobb expressed concern about a recommendation to eliminate payment for teacher credits, at a savings of about $28,000.
"We've done so much to take things away from teachers already," Cobb said, noting that this change may not be worthwhile for a relatively small cost savings.
Fellow board members agreed they would like more information on the payment for teacher credits and how the benefit is being used.
District staff will take board input into consideration as it hones the preliminary budget.
Should the district choose not to approve the preliminary budget at the end of this month, Business Services Director Mark Boehlke would prepare a resolution that would allow the district to begin spending money July 1, McCann said.
The preliminary budget will be modified as directed by the board until a proposed budget is presented at the September annual meeting. The final budget will then go to the board for approval in October.
WHAT:School Board approval of preliminary 2012-13 budget
WHEN: 7 p.m. June 26
WHERE: Shorewood High School library, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
- Milwaukee's first surf shop rides into Shorewood (3)
- Development is off the table in Wilson Drive discussions
- Bublr makes push for extra bike rental stations in Shorewood
- Three Lions Pub, Camp Bar allowed to have patio seating on the street
- Construction delayed on Shorewood ice cream shop (6)
- Shorewood group encourages shoppers to bring their own bag
- Shorewood Criterium Classic set for June 23
- Shorewood trustees approve new police department
- Video: Bicyclist beats car in race from Shorewood to downtown
- Race car driver Hobbs will compete against Olympic cyclist Emery in Rider vs. Driver challenge