Staff, Open Enrollment changes proposed for next year
Budget work will continue through the summer
Shorewood - The School Board is poised to approve the district's preliminary 2012-13 budget.
The board on Tuesday heard an update on the budget from Superintendent Blane McCann. The board will be asked to approve a preliminary budget June 26.
McCann highlighted some of the main changes proposed since the board was last updated at the end of May, including the addition of a sixth-grade teacher at Atwater and instructional aides at Lake Bluff, the elimination of a half-time 4-year-old kindergarten teacher at Lake Bluff, the reallocation of an FTE position at Lake Bluff to the high school, and the addition of six Open Enrollment seats in the district.
McCann explained that the addition of Open Enrollment seats will increase the district's revenue slightly, helping offset an approximately $112,800 loss in Open Enrollment per pupil revenue.
Board member David Cobb expressed concern about a recommendation to eliminate payment for teacher credits, at a savings of about $28,000.
"We've done so much to take things away from teachers already," Cobb said, noting that this change may not be worthwhile for a relatively small cost savings.
Fellow board members agreed they would like more information on the payment for teacher credits and how the benefit is being used.
District staff will take board input into consideration as it hones the preliminary budget.
Should the district choose not to approve the preliminary budget at the end of this month, Business Services Director Mark Boehlke would prepare a resolution that would allow the district to begin spending money July 1, McCann said.
The preliminary budget will be modified as directed by the board until a proposed budget is presented at the September annual meeting. The final budget will then go to the board for approval in October.
WHAT:School Board approval of preliminary 2012-13 budget
WHEN: 7 p.m. June 26
WHERE: Shorewood High School library, 1701 E. Capitol Drive
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Joanne Lipo Zovic appointed to Shorewood School Board
- Seniors invited to free retirement information programs at Shorewood Senior Resource Center
- Shorewood man thankful for Stars and Stripes Honor Flight
- Atwater School in Shorewood celebrates 100 years
- Shorewood High School sophomore catches a "lucky" break
- Six candidates apply for Shorewood school board seat
- Shorewood sketches details for plein air art festival
- Some Shorewood residents feel shut out by school board participation policy
- Shorewood school budget nearly derailed over public comment policy change (4)
- Run DMC rapper Darryl McDaniels launches Clicks sneaker shop in Shorewood (1)