The Chocolate Factory plans to open restaurant in Shorewood
Sandwich shop will open on Oakland Avenue
Shorewood — Another new restaurant will be coming to Oakland Avenue this summer.
The Chocolate Factory, a locally owned sandwich shop, will open its eighth location at 4330 Oakland Ave., which has been dormant since Thirst and Vine wine bar closed nearly two years ago.
Mike Toffler, a co-founder of The Chocolate Factory, said they have completely gutted the 1,758-square-foot space with plans to open the store by the end of June.
Toffler said the Shorewood store eventually will look similar to The Chocolate Factory in Elm Grove.
"We're excited to be in Shorewood, because Oakland Avenue is really up-and-coming," Toffler said. "It's very family-oriented, we like the density and we like that it's a walking community."
Contrary to the company's name, The Chocolate Factory does not serve chocolate. The name was inspired by Toffler's business partner Peter Blommer's family chocolate business, which produces the fudge for the restaurant's ice cream.
But what the store lacks in chocolate, it more than makes up for with its well-known selection of sandwiches, soups, salads and ice cream.
In addition to regular menu items, The Chocolate Factory also features a selection of daily, weekly and monthly specials.
Toffler and Blommer first opened in Cedarburg in 1972, and they have since opened locations in Elm Grove, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee, West Bend, Waukesha and Bayshore Town Center.
Despite its growth, Toffler said The Chocolate Factory has upheld its commitment to quality by continuing to produce its own fudge, baking fresh sub rolls throughout the day and mixing their malteds and shakes the old-fashioned way in a metal can.
"We've always said we give them a Cadillac at a Chevy price," Toffler said.
- Shorewood group encourages shoppers to bring their own bag
- Shorewood Criterium Classic set for June 23
- Shorewood trustees approve new police department
- Video: Bicyclist beats car in race from Shorewood to downtown
- Race car driver Hobbs will compete against Olympic cyclist Emery in Rider vs. Driver challenge
- Art students' mural about race relations removed from Shorewood High School (1)
- Shorewood's Cloud Red softly opens its doors (1)
- Sex assault reported in Shorewood
- Shorewood students get 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to meet celebrity alumni
- Shorewood students get buzz cuts for cancer