Behind four individual first place finishes, including record-setting efforts from junior Kristin Malone and sophomore Rachel Munson, the Shorewood girls swim team won its seventh WIAA State D2 title Friday night at the Natatorium in Madison.
The Greyhounds, who last won a championship in 2003, scored 255 points as 2011 champ Milton was second with 217 and Grafton third with 193.
Malone set broke a three-year old mark in the 200 free with a clocking of 1:48.83 and then cracked a five-year record in defending her title in the 100 free (50.28).
Senior Ellen Stello won her first individual state title in the 500 free by four seconds with a 4:58.34 effort.
Munson also got into the record-books when she claimed the 100 breaststroke with a clocking of 1:01.37, taking down the year-old mark by close to two seconds.
In addition, the Greyhounds got seconds from Stello in the 200 individual medley (2:05.39), and from all three relay teams, including the 200 medley crew of Melissa Clausen, Munson, Stello and Eva Jorn (1:48.59); the 200 free team of Munson, Jorn, Genevieve Hayes and Malone (1:38.68); and the 400 free unit of Stello, Clausen, Hayes and Malone (3:32.18).
Munson in the 200 individual medley (2:06.26) and Hayes in the 500 free (5:07.55) both took thirds. Hayes was sixth in the 200 free (1:56.16), and Clausen was 15th in the 100 free (55.68) and ninth in the 100 backstroke (1:00.6).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Senior-led Shorewood baseball team made strides this year
- "Team Florsheim," sprinters lead Shorewood girls to seventh in state track
- Shorewood boys track team wins 4x800 relay state title
- Boys tennis: Catholic Memorial duo cruises to Division 2 state doubles title
- Shorewood distance ace Morgan Florsheim a two-time state track favorite
- SPORTS SHORTS: JUNE 5
- OUR TAKE
- Homestead softball team rallies to beat Whitefish Bay, 15-5, in regional final
- Whitefish Bay girls soccer team beats Homestead to earn first North Shore title since 2007
- Whitefish Bay girls track team overcomes injuries and wins NSC outdoor title