The Nicolet, Whitefish Bay and Shorewood boys tennis teams all advanced individuals to the WIAA State Individual Tournament at Nielsen Stadium in Madison, June 4-6.
Coming out of its own Nicolet sectional, the Knights advanced David Yarmulnik at first singles (third place, 18-9 record) and the first doubles team of Gard Pecor and Trevor Katzban (second place, 18-7).
Bay will send first singles player Jack Larsen (second, 22-4), and the first doubles team of Graham Downey and Jack Krugler (third, 12-8).
Defending state champion Marquette dominated the team competition, winning all seven flights and scoring 56 points, as Bay edged Nicolet, 39-38, for the runner-up plaque. The state team tournament will be back at Nielsen, June 12 and 13.
Coming out of the very deep Division 2 sectional at Pleasent Valley Racquet Club in Jackson, Shorewood could only advance third place first singles player Ben Schwartz (8-4), as the Greyhounds state placewinning first doubles team of Jake Miller and John Chamberlain (14-2) lost its quarterfinal match.
Shorewood was fourth in the sectional with 22 points as University School also won every flight to overwhelm the field with 56 points.
More entries from the three teams will likely be added to the individual field as the state selection and seeding committee meets this weekend.
- Shorewood's Florsheim overcomes injuries to earn one final state medal
- Shorewood relay reaches potential, earns second at state
- Shorewood boys to send four entries to state track meet
- Stackhouse led Greyhound girls basketball team to great things
- Seniors helped set new standards for Shorewood girls basketball team
- Perry leads Shorewood swimmers to second in state
- Girls basketball: Shorewood girls claim third straight Woodland crown
- Shorewood swimmers aim for D2 state trophy
- Champion Shorewood girls basketball team beats Cudahy, 66-57
- Shorewood girls basketball team closing in on third straight Woodland title