The Nicolet, Whitefish Bay and Shorewood boys tennis teams all advanced individuals to the WIAA State Individual Tournament at Nielsen Stadium in Madison, June 4-6.
Coming out of its own Nicolet sectional, the Knights advanced David Yarmulnik at first singles (third place, 18-9 record) and the first doubles team of Gard Pecor and Trevor Katzban (second place, 18-7).
Bay will send first singles player Jack Larsen (second, 22-4), and the first doubles team of Graham Downey and Jack Krugler (third, 12-8).
Defending state champion Marquette dominated the team competition, winning all seven flights and scoring 56 points, as Bay edged Nicolet, 39-38, for the runner-up plaque. The state team tournament will be back at Nielsen, June 12 and 13.
Coming out of the very deep Division 2 sectional at Pleasent Valley Racquet Club in Jackson, Shorewood could only advance third place first singles player Ben Schwartz (8-4), as the Greyhounds state placewinning first doubles team of Jake Miller and John Chamberlain (14-2) lost its quarterfinal match.
Shorewood was fourth in the sectional with 22 points as University School also won every flight to overwhelm the field with 56 points.
More entries from the three teams will likely be added to the individual field as the state selection and seeding committee meets this weekend.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Banks delivers big run as Greenfield rallies
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Welcome home: Messwood football team wins its return to the Woodland
- Shorewood CC runners winners all around at McCarty
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Senior-led Shorewood baseball team made strides this year
- "Team Florsheim," sprinters lead Shorewood girls to seventh in state track
- Shorewood boys track team wins 4x800 relay state title
- Boys tennis: Catholic Memorial duo cruises to Division 2 state doubles title