Speed, guard play key for the Greyhounds hoops team
Shorewood will need to stay healthy
Shorewood - In order to be a more perimeter-based team this season, the Shorewood boys basketball team will need to stay healthy if it wants to succeed this winter.
"It's been a little slow so far," veteran coach Phil Jones said. "We've got a lot of new kids out and we're working in a new offense because we really don't have an inside player like we did last year (the now-graduated Aaron Bailey), so we will be more perimeter-based and will look to spread the floor more."
The Greyhounds, who were 11-12 last season, opened Woodland Conference play today at Greenfield and then are at Cudahy on Nov. 27.
They will build around 6-2 senior guard Donovan Freeman (12 ppg), 6-1 senior Bobby Kohl (8.2 ppg and 6.5 rpg) and 5-9 junior Kejaun Glosson (9 ppg). Freeman, who battled injuries all through the football season, is currently hampered by an elbow issue and the timing of his return is uncertain.
Other returnees include seniors 6-3 Carmen Purvis (4.1 ppg and 5.3 rpg), 6-0 Charles Organ (3 ppg) and 6-0 Jurell Jones (2.5 ppg).
Others looking to contribute are seniors 5-10 Anthony Poorman, 5-11 Dylan Dismuke and 6-0 Alec Grimmer; sophomores 5-9 Kevin Taylor, 6-4 Paris Perkins, and 6-0 Andrew Davis and 5-7 freshman Te'Jon Lucas.
"We're definitely going to be more athletic and quicker," Jones said. "We'll also have more ballhandlers, and our plan is to have any of the five on the floor at any one time be able to handle the ball. And we won't have the traditional man in the post."
A key to success, Jones said is because of a lack of size, everyone will need to be a rebounder.
"The majority of the conference is like that this year," he said. "There's just not a great deal of size out there and so, like us, there will also be a lot of guard play in the conference."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SPORTS SHORTS: Sept. 18
- Football: Banks delivers big run as Greenfield rallies
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Welcome home: Messwood football team wins its return to the Woodland
- Shorewood CC runners winners all around at McCarty
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Senior-led Shorewood baseball team made strides this year
- "Team Florsheim," sprinters lead Shorewood girls to seventh in state track
- Shorewood boys track team wins 4x800 relay state title