Book Club To Discuss 'Nobody's Home: Candid Reflections Of A Nursing Home Aide" At MATC-Mequon
Books about nursing home residents and preserving the environment will be discussed in March and April at Milwaukee Area Technical College’s Mequon Campus, 5555 W. Highland Road. Free and open to the public, the discussions will be held from 7-8:15 p.m. on Wednesday evenings March 23 and April 27.
On March 23, MATC nursing instructor Julienne Rock, will lead a discussion of Thomas Gass’ Nobody’s Home: Candid Reflections of a Nursing Home Aide," in Room A114. His book provides portraits of his patients and gives a well-rounded picture of what life is like inside a nursing home. Gass worked in a nursing home for three-and-a-half years, first as a nursing aide and then as director of social services.
A contest to win a $50 gift card will be held for MATC students attending the March 23 discussion. Answer 10 questions online through Blackboard. All students who have answered the questions correctly will have their names put in a box for a drawing. Students must attend the discussion to win. To access contest instructions online, log into Blackboard, click on the "Community" tab near the top of the page, click on "Student Organization," and then read the directions to the right of "Nobody's Home Library Contest."
On April 27, MATC natural science instructor George Stone, will present a discussion of Bill McKibben’s Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet, held in Room A289A. The author gives advice on living in a world facing global warming. McKibben also will be a speaker March 10 at the Green Energy Summit, co-hosted by MATC, at the Frontier Airlines Center.
Buy either book at Creekside Books in Cedarburg or at Next Chapter Bookshop in Mequon and get 15 percent off when you mention the MATC Mequon Campus book discussion group. Copies of the books can be checked out at the Mequon Campus Library. For more information, please call Marianne Szabo, (262) 238-2262, or e-mail email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Girl's Lacrosse Registration Now Open
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- City of Glendale to celebrate annual Menorah Lighting Ceremony at Bayshore Town Center
- Chanukah in the Chocolate Factory!
- Kick Off Chanukah at East Side Public Menorah Celebration
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- "The Nutcracker" returns December 13-27, 2014
- St.. Jude Kindergartners Share the Warmth This Holiday Season