Concordia University Wisconsin is proud to be teaming up with The Becky Werner Foundation for this year’s 5K walk on Saturday, April 30 at 9:30 a.m. The event will take place on and around CUW’s Mequon campus.
The parents of Becky Werner, Bob and Dee Dee of Mukwonago, Wis., started their foundation after Becky died unexpectedly of meningococcal meningitis on February 25, 2004, at the age of 20. Since World Meningitis Day is April 24, Easter Sunday, the walk has been moved to the following Saturday which will allow many more participants to take place in this worthwhile event.
“Our mission is to educate other families so no one else will go through what we have gone through and continue to go through today and for the rest of our lives,” said Dee Dee Werner. “We know the dangers of meningitis first hand and the importance of getting vaccinated against this potentially deadly disease,” Werner added.
Hundreds of people have taken part in the two previous walks and this year’s goal is to increase that number. For more information on meningitis, to pre-register for this year’s walk, or to contact Dee Dee and Bob Werner, visit www.stampoutmeningitis.com.
Anyone interested in seeing a video and learning more about the Werner’s story can log onto www.voicesofmeningitis.org.
The Web site www.comoononline.org has additional information on World Meningitis Day and how individuals can join in the fight. The aim is to have people from around the world join hands, virtually, to fight meningitis.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Spring Fling Family Dance Workshop
- Daddy & Daughter Dance Party
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- St. Robert Annual Pancake Breakfast/School Open House this Sunday
- Bartelt Wins Two Gold Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards
- MCW to host community mental health series
- Shorewood School District to Participate in National Day of Service
- 2015 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- Vision scientists to explore causes of vision loss in albinism