PNC Bank announced a donation of $75,000 to fund the building of the PNC Healing Garden at Aurora Sinai Medical Center. The contribution will be recognized on Tuesday, May 24, at a special dedication of the PNC Healing Garden at the hospital.
With help from PNC Bank and other donors, including the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewage District, Aurora Sinai’s women’s health department and Aurora employees, a 3,000-square-foot section of the rooftop at Aurora Sinai was transformed into the PNC Healing Garden. A total of 1,341 individual trays were installed with more than 40 different plant varieties.
George Hinton, vice president and chief administrative officer of Aurora Sinai said “the PNC Healing Garden has many advantages that not only help the environment but also benefit the patients and caregivers of Aurora Sinai. We appreciate the support of PNC and its commitment to the people we serve by making such a generous contribution. The PNC gift, combined with the generosity of the community and our own caregivers helped to make this wonderful addition to our hospital a reality and offer an environment that helps people live well.”
For PNC Bank, the support makes sense in several ways.
“PNC is proud to support Aurora Sinai’s rooftop healing garden. This garden offers physical and psychological relief from stress and pressures for patients by providing distraction from their illnesses and associated treatments. Viewing natural scenes fosters positive feelings and reduces negative emotions,” said Natalie Fuerst, PNC Bank client and community relations coordinator.
“In addition to healing, the live roof is consistent with PNC and Aurora's green initiatives by reducing energy bills, controlling rainwater run-off, and reducing the urban heat island effect while providing a beautiful healing vista. When the PNC rooftop garden is in full bloom we encourage everyone to enjoy the view,” added Fuerst.
Patti Senger, Aurora Sinai patient care manager said. “It has been a privilege for the women’s health department to be a part of making the PNC Healing Garden a reality. We are looking forward to sharing this beautiful space with our patients.”
There are several benefits to a green roof:
• Promotes healing - The natural views create more productive, healthy, happy, creative, relaxed people and improve physical and mental health.
• Reduces pollution - The 4- tp 6- inch soil depth on the rooftop healing garden acts like a sponge and absorbs excess rain water, which helps to reduce polluted storm water runoff by retaining water where it falls.
• Preserves the environment - Designed to absorb up to 80 percent of the annual rainfall, the PNC Healing Garden will reduce storm water runoff that often leads to flooding, erosion and artificial heating of water. Reducing this activity helps preserve fisheries and other aquatic life.
• Saves energy – The soil adds insulation which helps to reduce heating and cooling costs.
• Extends roof life – The garden protects the roof from harmful UV rays which saves money and resources and creates less landfill waste.
PNC is no stranger to going "green." It was the first major bank to design and build environmentally friendly LEED-certified bank branches in the United States, and has the trademark on the term Green Branch®. PNC’s green building strategies focus on reducing environmental impact and improving customer and employee comfort and satisfaction by implementing specific green measures.
Among these green features are:
• energy, lighting and water efficiency;
• selection of building materials that are regionally manufactured, made from recycled or green materials; and
• improved indoor air quality through the use of healthier paints, adhesives and interior finish products
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Print all In new window NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING ART SHOWCASE
- What I earned By Serving on the School Board
- Prata Duo To Present Free Concert
- Glendale Mayoral Forum held on March 24
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Try out field hockey with LIFT!
- New! LIFT Field Hockey!
- Exploring Health Innovations Inspired by the Care of Military Personnel
- Shakespeare Explains Life in Renaissance England
- “Match Day” reveals future plans for new doctors