A free, month educational and support group for grandparents and other relatives who are parenting again is being offered by three collaborating agencies in Milwaukee. This ongoing group entitled “Grandparents and Other Relatives Parenting Again” will be offered the third Wednesday of each month from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. beginning October 19. The group meets at the Villard Square Grandfamily Housing, 3427 W. Villard Avenue, Milwaukee. Limited childcare is available for children under twelve years of age. Registration is required.
“Relatives caring for minor children are often a hidden population,” said Jan Buchler, Executive Director of The Parenting Network. “Wisconsin census data indicate nearly 50,000 children under the age of 18 reside with their grandparents. That doesn’t include children living with other relatives. This program reaches a critically important, and often underserved, group of caregivers.”
The “Grandparents and Other Relatives Parenting Again” group allows participants to exchange ideas, discuss their child’s growth and development, learn from one another and share their stories with others who find themselves unexpectedly in a parenting role.
To register for “Grandparents and Other Relatives Parenting Again,” call the Parent Helpline at 414/671-0566 Undocumented families welcome. If you have roadblocks to attending, please call for possible assistance.
This program is presented by The Parenting Network, Family Caregivers Support Network of Interfaith Older Adults Programs Inc. and Jewish Family Services. For more information, please visit theparentingnetwork.org.
# # #
Since 1977, The Parenting Network has served families throughout the greater Milwaukee community through its mission to strengthen parenting and to prevent child abuse. Services are provided:
- In Homes – home visiting and case management services for families in need
- In Schools – healthy relationship education to prevent sexual violence and teen pregnancy; parenting education for expectant and parenting teens
- In the Community – confidential Parent Helpline and a wide variety of parenting education and support classes and groups developed for specific parenting populations at sites throughout Milwaukee County
- Small Appliances Make a Big Impact at Appliance Gallery
- Stampede for Scouting at the Zoo
- Zoom into Nano Opens Big at Discovery World
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- Career and Technical Workshop for Educators to be Held at MATC's Mequon Campus June 14-16
- Free Showing of "The Intern"
- Big Cedar Lake Resorts & Businesses
- WAUKESHA CHOCOLATE FACTORY TO SUPPORT THIS TIME TOMORROW FOUNDATION
- SHOREWOOD CHOCOLATE FACTORY TO SUPPORT THIS TIME TOMORROW FOUNDATION
- Meet a Red, White, and Blue Jew in Milwaukee!