Guest Speaker: Dr. Jacques du Plessis
School of Information Studies
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Jacques du Plessis comes from South Africa. He has been in the United States since 1984 and studied in the field of Instructional Technology.
As the Internet became a new reality, he was active in educating parents about risk to the youth and looking for ways to support the youth and develop structure to keep them from harm's way.
Do you feel outpaced by your technologically savvy kids? Social networking sites have morphed into a regular medium for teens and adults to exchange information about themselves, share pictures and videos, and use blogs and private messaging to communicate with friends, and sometimes even the world-at-large.
Are these tools hindering the development of relationship skills for teens? Perhaps not.
However, with issues of online bullying and rumor spreading, identity theft, blogging and the real threat of sexual predators, it is important to be aware of the possible pitfalls that come with networking online.
This event is free and open to the public, taking place on two Sundays, January 29th and February 5th from 9:15am to 10:15am, at North Shore Presbyterian Church, 4048 N. Bartlett Ave. in Shorewood. The church is one block north of Capital Dr. and one block west of Oakland Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tips To Give Your Dog a Balanced Diet
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Diabetes and oral health in Milwaukee’s Mexican-American community
- Farmers Market and Local Harvest Breakfast Fundraiser to Support Family Farms
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces Availability of 2015 Membership Directory