Guest Speaker: Dr. Jacques du Plessis
School of Information Studies
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Jacques du Plessis comes from South Africa. He has been in the United States since 1984 and studied in the field of Instructional Technology.
As the Internet became a new reality, he was active in educating parents about risk to the youth and looking for ways to support the youth and develop structure to keep them from harm's way.
Do you feel outpaced by your technologically savvy kids? Social networking sites have morphed into a regular medium for teens and adults to exchange information about themselves, share pictures and videos, and use blogs and private messaging to communicate with friends, and sometimes even the world-at-large.
Are these tools hindering the development of relationship skills for teens? Perhaps not.
However, with issues of online bullying and rumor spreading, identity theft, blogging and the real threat of sexual predators, it is important to be aware of the possible pitfalls that come with networking online.
This event is free and open to the public, taking place on two Sundays, January 29th and February 5th from 9:15am to 10:15am, at North Shore Presbyterian Church, 4048 N. Bartlett Ave. in Shorewood. The church is one block north of Capital Dr. and one block west of Oakland Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New "Sporkies" Food Competition Has Wisconsin State Fair Vendors Competing For Coveted Golden Spork Award
- Eastcastle Place Senior Living Community Earns Perfect 100 on Walk Score®
- Free Movie Showing
- Assurant Health ranks on southeast Wisconsin Top Workplaces list
- Children's Medical Grants Now Available in Wisconsin from the UnitedHealthcare Children's Foundation
- GRAEF RECOGNIZED BY AMERICAN COUNCIL OF ENGINEERING COMPANIES
- Virtual Education: Why it can work for you
- Shorewood Schools celebrate Art Week
- River Cruise Seminar
- Milwaukee Handbell Ensemble's 10th Anniversary Concert