If you’re looking for something for your children to do this summer, look no further than the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center! School may be out for the summer, but our lessons have begun. Sailing develops great skills like leadership and self confidence not only on the boat but also in life. MCSC offers a full range of on the water classes for all ages, so there’s no excuse for sitting on shore and watching the boats glide by! Your young sailor can master the ways of the wind and water on Lake Michigan.
For the little ones (ages 8 to 11), Pram’s in the Park provides basic boating knowledge. These sailors will take to the waters of either Juneau Park or Discovery World’s lagoons under the close supervision of experienced instructors who will show them the ropes of water safety, sail theory, basic knot tying, rigging, gybing, docking and even how to perform a capsize recovery. This nationally acclaimed program teaches a take-charge attitude on and off the water!
For older youth, ages 12-17, the onboard sailing lessons out on Lake Michigan are the perfect summer break activity. They will learn boat handling, sail theory, navigation rules, as well as perform and practice crew overboard maneuvers and capsize drills. This program empowers teens of all backgrounds to steer not only a boat but their lives as well. With four different levels, new sailors learn the basics and have the chance to advance into an experienced salt. Introductory classes teach basic boat handling on Hunters. More advanced classes learn 420 boats and racing tactics, including using the spinnaker and trapeze.
MCSC’s on the water teaching is fun, challenging and rewarding. There’s nothing better than the feeling of accomplishment your child will have when returning to the dock after having taken the tiller, faced nature and successfully sailed on a Great Lake. In MCSC youth programs, invaluable life skills like leadership and problem-solving are developed under the watchful eyes of knowledgeable instructors. Your child will learn to appreciate Lake Michigan as a unique recreational setting while they learn to sail at MCSC.
Check out www.sailingcenter.org for more information and class registration. Scholarships are available to make Lake Michigan sailing accessible to everyone.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tips To Give Your Dog a Balanced Diet
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Diabetes and oral health in Milwaukee’s Mexican-American community
- Farmers Market and Local Harvest Breakfast Fundraiser to Support Family Farms
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces Availability of 2015 Membership Directory