Shorewood Allstate Insurance Andrew McCabe Offers Tips to Prevent Ice Dams From Damaging Your Roof
From un-seasonal warmth to heavy snow, this winter has been packed with plenty of surprises, and it’s not over yet. A cold weather culprit that could become a problem following a snowstorm is ice damming on top of a home. Ice dams develop when heat from a home rises up through a roof covered with several inches of snow and melts the bottom snow layer – creating an icy buildup.
“Ice dams are lumps of ice that form on gutters, eaves and valleys, and prevent melting snow from running down,” says Allstate agent Andrew J. McCabe. “As the snow melts, the water backs up and seeps under shingles or tiles and eventually into your home. Preventing ice dams can be as simple as mounting proper insulation and avoiding improper removal of ice and snow.”
To help minimize ice dam formation on your roof and protect your home from winter damage, Allstate Insurance Company offers the following tips:
• Keep gutters and downspouts clear of leaves and natural debris.
• Identify areas of heat loss in your attic and properly insulate them to prevent heat from escaping.
• Avoid using sharp tools or ice picks, which can damage roofs, on gutters or downspouts. Use a snow rake or soft broom to clear fresh snowfall from gutters.
• Avoid falling icicles or avalanching snow. Avoid getting on the roof and working on a ladder or beneath a roof that has accumulated large amount of snow.
To learn more about preventing ice dams or receive information on other safety topics, contact Allstate agent Andrew J. McCabe at 414-961-1166 or email www.allstate.com/andrewmccabe
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Village of Shorewood Hosts Second Annual Plein Air Festival
- Polish Harvest Festival
- FREE Pre-Concert Workshop
- River Hills resident elected to Girl Scout Board
- DHS Throws Disabled Under the Bus
- 10 Homework Tips for The School Year
- Last Whitefish Bay Community Band Concert on Sunday August 17, 2014
- Growing Small Business Reaches Top 5% of Industry
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host 13th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Columbia St. Mary’s River Woods Outpatient Center Receives a 2014 5-Star National Award