Shorewood Allstate Insurance Andrew McCabe Offers Tips to Prevent Ice Dams From Damaging Your Roof
From un-seasonal warmth to heavy snow, this winter has been packed with plenty of surprises, and it’s not over yet. A cold weather culprit that could become a problem following a snowstorm is ice damming on top of a home. Ice dams develop when heat from a home rises up through a roof covered with several inches of snow and melts the bottom snow layer – creating an icy buildup.
“Ice dams are lumps of ice that form on gutters, eaves and valleys, and prevent melting snow from running down,” says Allstate agent Andrew J. McCabe. “As the snow melts, the water backs up and seeps under shingles or tiles and eventually into your home. Preventing ice dams can be as simple as mounting proper insulation and avoiding improper removal of ice and snow.”
To help minimize ice dam formation on your roof and protect your home from winter damage, Allstate Insurance Company offers the following tips:
• Keep gutters and downspouts clear of leaves and natural debris.
• Identify areas of heat loss in your attic and properly insulate them to prevent heat from escaping.
• Avoid using sharp tools or ice picks, which can damage roofs, on gutters or downspouts. Use a snow rake or soft broom to clear fresh snowfall from gutters.
• Avoid falling icicles or avalanching snow. Avoid getting on the roof and working on a ladder or beneath a roof that has accumulated large amount of snow.
To learn more about preventing ice dams or receive information on other safety topics, contact Allstate agent Andrew J. McCabe at 414-961-1166 or email www.allstate.com/andrewmccabe
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public Hearing on Central District Master Plan
- Alverno Presents Joe Westerlund’s Grandma Sparrow & His Piddletractor Orchestra
- Elite Sports Clubs Glendale Offers Free ‘Yoga/Meditation for Sleep’ Class in March
- Black History Month, Celebrate Smokers Quitting and Becoming a Part of History
- Tips To Give Your Dog a Balanced Diet
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.