Shorewood Family Chiropractic announced today that it will be the first business sponsor of Shorewood High School’s Science Club. The Science Club assists students with science fair projects and supports students in science competitions such as Lake Sturgeon Bowl, Science Olympiad, and the SMART team.
This year’s Science Club, which includes 25 students led by teacher coach Karen Gryzsbowski, had a strong finish at the Lake Sturgeon Bowl competition in February advancing to a single elimination where they lost a tough battle to the team that went on to win the competition. They competed in a Science Olympiad Madison Invitational in December and a Milwaukee Regional in February. They are now preparing for the state competition which will be held April 13, 2013.
Shorewood Family Chiropractic’s $300 donation will assist with transportation, food and lodging expenses for the teams. Owner Monica Maroney is excited to help encourage student interest in STEM careers and will speak to the Club about her own chiropractic career on Friday, February 22.
“As an alumni of Shorewood High School who started early on a science path, I’m particularly enthusiastic about helping students understand how worthwhile this kind of career can be,” she said.
Maroney notes that in a time when our country needs more scientists, engineers and healthcare professionals, it’s important that STEM-related business owners step up to share their own experiences and advice with students.
Shorewood Family Chiropractic is located at 4433 N. Oakland Avenue in Shorewood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New "Sporkies" Food Competition Has Wisconsin State Fair Vendors Competing For Coveted Golden Spork Award
- Eastcastle Place Senior Living Community Earns Perfect 100 on Walk Score®
- Free Movie Showing
- Assurant Health ranks on southeast Wisconsin Top Workplaces list
- Children's Medical Grants Now Available in Wisconsin from the UnitedHealthcare Children's Foundation
- GRAEF RECOGNIZED BY AMERICAN COUNCIL OF ENGINEERING COMPANIES
- Virtual Education: Why it can work for you
- Shorewood Schools celebrate Art Week
- River Cruise Seminar
- Milwaukee Handbell Ensemble's 10th Anniversary Concert