Snowmobiling has surged as one of the most popular winter recreation activities. When the heavy snow falls, snowmobiles often become the vehicle of choice for maneuvering through snow drifts and over snow-covered fields. But taking the time to make some critical safety checks can make all the difference in your winter fun.
“Nothing beats cruising through fresh powder on your sled, until something unexpected happens,” said local Allstate agent Andrew McCabe, “Allstate offers affordable coverage that helps protect you, your passengers and your snowmobile, including: Liability Coverage, Medical Payments Coverage, and Physical Damage Coverage.”
Allstate Insurance Company and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommend the following safe snowmobiling rules for recreational snowmobiling:
• Never drive your snowmobile alone or on unfamiliar ground. Have someone ride along with you, so you can help each other in case of breakdown or accident.
• Avoid waterways. Frozen lakes and rivers can be fatal. It is almost impossible to judge adequate ice coverage or depth.
• Avoid driving in bad weather. Check warnings for snow, ice, and wind chill conditions before starting
• Watch the path ahead to avoid rocks, trees, fences (particularly barbed wire), ditches, and other obstacles.
• Slow down at the top of a hill, cliff, snow bank, or other barrier that may have a hidden hazard on the other side.
• Never drink while driving your snowmobile. Drinking and driving can prove fatal.
Snowmobiling is much more enjoyable when added safety measures are part of your winter recreation routine. For more information on this and other safety topics, please contact local Allstate agent Andrew McCabe at (414) 961-1166.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Author Recounts Exploration of Lake Michigan Ship Sunk in 1860
- Shorewood Senior Center to Sponsor Trip to Art in Bloom
- SHOREWOOD CDA ADVANCES NORTHWOODS RENOVATION AND RIVER BLUFF SENIOR HOUSING PROJECTS
- How to Avoid Your Own Personal Financial Crisis
- "The Life & Music of Woody Guthrie for Ukulele" with Lil' Rev, March 15 at Cascio
- Shorewood Allstate Agent Offers Spring Safety Advice
- March 7 Talk: "A Global Geologic Exploration of Life after Earth’s Largest Mass Extinction"
- March 2, Lecture on Art at the Edges of Maps at UWM
- Don't Miss the Condo Tradeshow
- Seniors Anniversary Party