Shorewood one of four "Best Intergenerational Communities" according to the MetLife Foundation
The Village of Shorewood recently learned that it is one of four communities in the country selected as a "Best Intergenerational Community" by the MetLife Foundation/Generations United. The award recognizes the importance of intergenerational solidarity in building strong, supportive communities.
In its application, Shorewood described strong community support for its School District and for involving residents young and old in community planning. Shorewood has also developed initiatives to become more senior-friendly, through such efforts as the Shorewood Connects Yard Clean-Up days and joint programming between the Senior Resource Center and the School District.
Village of Shorewood President Guy Johnson remarked, “We are all proud of the work that goes into making Shorewood a place that values its youth and values adults of all ages.” Longtime Shorewood resident Julie Guzniczak adds, “It has only been in recent years that I have truly appreciated the gift of ‘generational living’. The many kindnesses that our neighbors and their children have extended to us now that we are among the ‘Grandpas’ and ‘Grandmas’ on the block touches my heart.”
Presentation of this year’s awards will occur on March 25th on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., with various representatives from Shorewood on hand to accept the award. Other award recipients include Maricopa County, Arizona; Parkland, Florida; and Reston, Virginia. Two other communities were named National Finalists: Miami Gardens, Florida; and Rye, New York.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- From Hollywood to Holy Wood!
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Spring Fling Family Dance Workshop
- Daddy & Daughter Dance Party
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- St. Robert Annual Pancake Breakfast/School Open House this Sunday
- Bartelt Wins Two Gold Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards
- MCW to host community mental health series
- Shorewood School District to Participate in National Day of Service