The opening reception for Art from the Ashes: Finding Light in the Shadow of the Shoah will be held in the Fourth Floor Exhibition Gallery of the Golda Meir Library on Wednesday, February 19, 2014, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
The exhibit features the work of visual artist Helene Fischman, a noted Bay-area artist and educator, and currently an MFA candidate in the UWM Department of Art & Design, who established "artist residencies" for herself in former Nazi territory, making former concentration camps her studio.
In Terezín/Terezinstadt, Czech Republic, she created an artist studio in a crumbling, former Nazi Barrack. In Oświęcim/Auschwitz, Poland, she spent two months painting in an old storage room formerly used for munitions at the Auschwitz Jewish Center/Chevra Lomdei Mishnayot, the town's only surviving synagogue.
In "Art from the Ashes," Fischman's artwork is an homage to those lives lost in the Shoah, to the towns and shtetls that disappeared, and also a tribute to an undying optimism inherent in those who held on to life in the face of unfathomable horrors.
The exhibition will pair Fischman’s production from these residencies in Europe with original WWII-era publications preserved in the UWM Libraries’ Special Collections as a physical manifestation of art rising from the remnants of the past.
Fischman will also present an artist’s talk in The Scholar and The Library Series on Friday, May 2, 2014, 2:00-3:00 p.m., Room E281, Golda Meir Library.
The exhibit, co-sponsored by the UWM Libraries and the UWM Stahl Center for Jewish Studies, runs from February 17 – May 30, 2014. Gallery hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, or by appointment (414-229-4345 or email@example.com)
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tips To Give Your Dog a Balanced Diet
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Diabetes and oral health in Milwaukee’s Mexican-American community
- Farmers Market and Local Harvest Breakfast Fundraiser to Support Family Farms
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces Availability of 2015 Membership Directory