The opening reception for Art from the Ashes: Finding Light in the Shadow of the Shoah will be held in the Fourth Floor Exhibition Gallery of the Golda Meir Library on Wednesday, February 19, 2014, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
The exhibit features the work of visual artist Helene Fischman, a noted Bay-area artist and educator, and currently an MFA candidate in the UWM Department of Art & Design, who established "artist residencies" for herself in former Nazi territory, making former concentration camps her studio.
In Terezín/Terezinstadt, Czech Republic, she created an artist studio in a crumbling, former Nazi Barrack. In Oświęcim/Auschwitz, Poland, she spent two months painting in an old storage room formerly used for munitions at the Auschwitz Jewish Center/Chevra Lomdei Mishnayot, the town's only surviving synagogue.
In "Art from the Ashes," Fischman's artwork is an homage to those lives lost in the Shoah, to the towns and shtetls that disappeared, and also a tribute to an undying optimism inherent in those who held on to life in the face of unfathomable horrors.
The exhibition will pair Fischman’s production from these residencies in Europe with original WWII-era publications preserved in the UWM Libraries’ Special Collections as a physical manifestation of art rising from the remnants of the past.
Fischman will also present an artist’s talk in The Scholar and The Library Series on Friday, May 2, 2014, 2:00-3:00 p.m., Room E281, Golda Meir Library.
The exhibit, co-sponsored by the UWM Libraries and the UWM Stahl Center for Jewish Studies, runs from February 17 – May 30, 2014. Gallery hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, or by appointment (414-229-4345 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SUNSET PLAYHOUSE PRESENTS CROONER CHRIS MARIANI IN HAVE A COOL YULE
- ‘Tis the Season
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Explains Bathtub Materials
- “Let There Be Light!” with David HB Drake
- Glendale’s Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony to Feature 40-foot Live Balsam Tree
- Local Contractor Joins Campaign for Hunger Relief
- Should You Repair or Replace Your Appliance? Appliance Gallery Offers Some Advice
- Wisconsin's Walk MS Dates Announced for 2016
- WaterStone Bank Announces New Fox Point Community President
- MATC 's New Aesthetician Spa to Open at Mequon Campus Nov. 17