Kris Klassen attended Shorewood High School from 1977-1980 and played on the first ever soccer team in 1980. On March 8th he will be inducted into the Wisconsin Soccer Association Hall of Fame being held at Lambeau Field.A product of the powerful Milwaukee Bavarian Soccer Club of the 1970's and 80's, Klassen was a part of teams that won four state championships and back to back Midwest Cup titles. In 1986 he scored the winning goal to help the Milwaukee Serbians win his fifth and final state championship and established himself as the first player to score the winning goal in three state championship games. His career consisted of playing on several teams in their inaugural season. Shorewood High School and Cardinal Stritch College at the amateur level and in 1981 he led the nation in scoring for college players with 30 goals in 14 games.
Other first year clubs he played for included the Ft. Wayne Flames, the Dayton Dynamo, the Buffalo Blizzard and the Milwaukee Wave of professional indoor soccer.
In 1984 he was selected for TEAM USA Indoor and participated on their six game tour which helped launch the American Indoor Soccer Association. It was from this tour that he was drafted by the Milwaukee Wave and became the first player signed in team history.
He finished up his playing career in 1995 with the Chicago Power in the National Professional Soccer League and the Milwaukee Rampage of the A-League. In 1998 he became the first ex-pro player to officiate games in the indoor league he played in.
He is a published author and in 2006 his book, SOCCERROCK, was released.
Having played every position on the field at a professional level, including goalkeeper, he is considered one of the most exciting forwards Wisconsin has ever produced.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tips To Give Your Dog a Balanced Diet
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Diabetes and oral health in Milwaukee’s Mexican-American community
- Farmers Market and Local Harvest Breakfast Fundraiser to Support Family Farms
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces Availability of 2015 Membership Directory