Kris Klassen attended Shorewood High School from 1977-1980 and played on the first ever soccer team in 1980. On March 8th he will be inducted into the Wisconsin Soccer Association Hall of Fame being held at Lambeau Field.A product of the powerful Milwaukee Bavarian Soccer Club of the 1970's and 80's, Klassen was a part of teams that won four state championships and back to back Midwest Cup titles. In 1986 he scored the winning goal to help the Milwaukee Serbians win his fifth and final state championship and established himself as the first player to score the winning goal in three state championship games. His career consisted of playing on several teams in their inaugural season. Shorewood High School and Cardinal Stritch College at the amateur level and in 1981 he led the nation in scoring for college players with 30 goals in 14 games.
Other first year clubs he played for included the Ft. Wayne Flames, the Dayton Dynamo, the Buffalo Blizzard and the Milwaukee Wave of professional indoor soccer.
In 1984 he was selected for TEAM USA Indoor and participated on their six game tour which helped launch the American Indoor Soccer Association. It was from this tour that he was drafted by the Milwaukee Wave and became the first player signed in team history.
He finished up his playing career in 1995 with the Chicago Power in the National Professional Soccer League and the Milwaukee Rampage of the A-League. In 1998 he became the first ex-pro player to officiate games in the indoor league he played in.
He is a published author and in 2006 his book, SOCCERROCK, was released.
Having played every position on the field at a professional level, including goalkeeper, he is considered one of the most exciting forwards Wisconsin has ever produced.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girl's Lacrosse Registration Now Open
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- City of Glendale to celebrate annual Menorah Lighting Ceremony at Bayshore Town Center
- Chanukah in the Chocolate Factory!
- Kick Off Chanukah at East Side Public Menorah Celebration
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- "The Nutcracker" returns December 13-27, 2014
- St.. Jude Kindergartners Share the Warmth This Holiday Season
- St. Robert Sunday School Students Aid Milwaukee's Poor