Floor Coverings International Offers Advice To Milwakee Residents During National Flood Safety Awareness Week
(Milwaukee, WI)---Hubie Durst, Milwaukee area franchisee of Floor Coverings International has seen a significant increase in business this winter due to the city’s record-breaking cold. The freezing temperatures have caused severe water damage in homes all over the area due to bursting pipes and frozen water main breaks. With National Flood Safety Awareness Week right around the corner (March 16-22), Durst is sharing his expert advice with Milwaukee residents about what precautions to take to protect home flooring against possible flooding disasters this spring.
• Flooring: Consider purchasing durable products that are water-resistant such as vinyl flooring.
• Plumbing: Check for leaking faucets, dripping pipes, clogged drains, and cracks in washing machine hoses.
• Alarms: Consider purchasing a water alarm to notify you when water is rising in areas in areas where it is not supposed to be.
• Roofing: Inspect your roof regularly to prevent problems before they occur.
• Humidity: Check areas where air does not easily circulate, such as behind curtains, under beds and in closets for dampness.
“Once flood water reaches an inch above your floor, there is significant damage and it can be a dangerous place for families,” he explained.
“Knowing how flood water affects a house and what the specific steps are to protect your home from the worst possible damage is key,” says Durst.
The majority of natural disasters that happen in the U.S. involve flood damage, which are the most prevalent catastrophes for homeowners (Source: NFIP). Aside from instances like ground water and street flooding, the most common source of home floods are from appliances such as overflowing sinks, tubs, toilets and washing machines (Source: USAA).
“Once the water reaches an inch above your floor, there is significant damage and it can be a dangerous place for families,” he explained. “Knowing how flood water affects a house and what the specific steps are to protect your home from water damage is an important step in insuring your home retains its value.”
Atlanta-based franchisor Floor Coverings International has nearly 100 locations throughout the U.S. and Canada and expects to add 50 additional units by the end of 2014, targeting markets such as Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta as well as other strategic markets across North America.
For more information, please visit www.floorcoveringsinternational.com/
- Stampede for Scouting at the Zoo
- Zoom into Nano Opens Big at Discovery World
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- Career and Technical Workshop for Educators to be Held at MATC's Mequon Campus June 14-16
- Free Showing of "The Intern"
- Big Cedar Lake Resorts & Businesses
- WAUKESHA CHOCOLATE FACTORY TO SUPPORT THIS TIME TOMORROW FOUNDATION
- SHOREWOOD CHOCOLATE FACTORY TO SUPPORT THIS TIME TOMORROW FOUNDATION
- Meet a Red, White, and Blue Jew in Milwaukee!
- Shorewood Foundation Appoints Sebastian (Saj) Thachenkary as President