When the smoke-free workplace law was put into affect in July of 2010, people weren’t sure how customers and employees of Milwaukee bars and restaurants would react. When customers were no longer able to smoke inside their favorite bars and restaurants, many thought it would become a problem and decrease business.
I recently learned at a Wisconsin Tobacco Prevention and Poverty Network (WTPPN) meeting that customers and employees of establishments that have gone smoke-free actually enjoy it even more than they did before because the air quality has improved.
The University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center performed a study on the indoor air quality of Wisconsin restaurants in 2010, just a few months after the law was enacted. Their findings were pleasantly surprising,. The air quality in bars and restaurants improved by 92 percent as a result of the smoke-free workplace law and 97 percent of the establishments had satisfactory or good air quality.
I also learned that before the law, 21 percent of the tested establishments had air quality that was hazardous. No one should be forced to work in a hazardous environment. We all deserve to breathe clean, quality air wherever we go. This law has helped with that. It is something that has been successful in Wisconsin and the air quality in bars and restaurants will hopefully continue to improve.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shakespeare in Shorewood
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Newcastle Place staff completes training for Heartfelt Connections Memory Care Program
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- North Shore Suzuki Strings celebrates 25th anniversary
- Capuchin Friar Visits Catholic East for Vocation Day
- Alverno College Will Hold its 151st Commencement on May 22 and 23
- Lunch and Edelweiss Boat Tour
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19