When the smoke-free workplace law was put into affect in July of 2010, people weren’t sure how customers and employees of Milwaukee bars and restaurants would react. When customers were no longer able to smoke inside their favorite bars and restaurants, many thought it would become a problem and decrease business.
I recently learned at a Wisconsin Tobacco Prevention and Poverty Network (WTPPN) meeting that customers and employees of establishments that have gone smoke-free actually enjoy it even more than they did before because the air quality has improved.
The University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center performed a study on the indoor air quality of Wisconsin restaurants in 2010, just a few months after the law was enacted. Their findings were pleasantly surprising,. The air quality in bars and restaurants improved by 92 percent as a result of the smoke-free workplace law and 97 percent of the establishments had satisfactory or good air quality.
I also learned that before the law, 21 percent of the tested establishments had air quality that was hazardous. No one should be forced to work in a hazardous environment. We all deserve to breathe clean, quality air wherever we go. This law has helped with that. It is something that has been successful in Wisconsin and the air quality in bars and restaurants will hopefully continue to improve.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Girl's Lacrosse Registration Now Open
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- City of Glendale to celebrate annual Menorah Lighting Ceremony at Bayshore Town Center
- Chanukah in the Chocolate Factory!
- Kick Off Chanukah at East Side Public Menorah Celebration
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- "The Nutcracker" returns December 13-27, 2014
- St.. Jude Kindergartners Share the Warmth This Holiday Season