On a night perfect for football, the Shorewood Monarchs held its 2009 Season Home Opener at Shorewood High School. In week three of the 2009 IFL season, the Monarchs waged war against the Wauwatosa Spartans in front of an anxious crowd. Both teams entered the game looking for their first ‘W’ of the season, however also at stake was the coveted royal sword, a trophy to be awarded to the winning team of this battle royale.
The game was hard fought, remaining close through the third quarter, but on this night misses by the Monarchs special teams would do them in. The final score of the evening was 27-7 Wauwatosa Spartans.
While the entire game was filled with hard hits through out the night, noticeable plays of the evening included a sack by Monarchs #95, Erick McNeiley, and 2 interceptions by Eric Phillips, #2.
On the Spartans side of the ball, the powerful defensive line set the tone, while offensively the team was led by contributions on the running game by #20, Cedric McFadden.
This night was also highlighted by a visit by ex-Green Bay Packer, LeRoy Butler. Butler attended the game to sign autographs for fans, proceeds of which benefited the LeRoy Butler Foundation for Breast Cancer.
The Monarchs would like to give special thanks to all of the fans, volunteers and the Shorewood Community for a successful season home opener. The next Shorewood Monarchs home game will be held on Saturday, June 27th against the Milwaukee Marauders, kick off is at 7pm at Shorewood High School. Tickets are $7 for adults, kids 10 and under are free. Call 414.461.0305 or visit www.monarchsfootballclub.com for tickets and information.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girl's Lacrosse Registration Now Open
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- City of Glendale to celebrate annual Menorah Lighting Ceremony at Bayshore Town Center
- Chanukah in the Chocolate Factory!
- Kick Off Chanukah at East Side Public Menorah Celebration
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- "The Nutcracker" returns December 13-27, 2014
- St.. Jude Kindergartners Share the Warmth This Holiday Season
- St. Robert Sunday School Students Aid Milwaukee's Poor