Lake Express Ferry and Milwaukee Bicycle Collective Partner in Earth Week Bicycle Drive
The Lake Express ferry and Milwaukee Bicycle Collective will team-up during Earth Week to promote “green” travel by collecting gently-used bicycles for the inner-city residents of Milwaukee. In exchange for each donated bicycle, donors will receive a $50 certificate from the Travel Green Certified Lake Express ferry. The two organizations are partnering to encourage environmentally-friendly travel while also supporting the needs of the community.
“Lake Express is committed to offering Milwaukeeans fun, safe and convenient transportation options that respect and protect our environment,” said Ken Szallai, president of Lake Express. “By partnering with the Milwaukee Bicycle Collective, we are able to promote green travel while also supporting a worthy, environmentally conscientious organization that is committed to helping Milwaukee’s residents.”
The Milwaukee Bicycle Collective strives to provide an affordable resource for bicycle repair, and access to bicycle transportation that is otherwise not available for inner-city Milwaukee residents, while also encouraging environmentally-sustainable use and recycling of bicycle materials.
“The need for bicycles in Milwaukee’s inner city is always greater than the supply, so we’re excited about this year’s partnership with Lake Express,” said Will Kort of Milwaukee Bicycle Collective. “Lake Express has shown a continued commitment to employing environmentally sound practices, which line up well with our own principles.”
Lake Express first received the Travel Green Certification from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism in 2008. Since then, the ferry has been recognized for innovative green practices such as pumping all waste aboard the vessel into an on-shore sewer system, removing more than 25,000 vehicles off the road annually, meeting or exceeding all Environmental Protection Agency air quality standards, and more.
To donate a bicycle to the Milwaukee Bike Collective in exchange for a $50 certificate for the Lake Express ferry, donors can bring their gently-used bicycles to the Lake Express Ferry terminal located at 2330 S. Lincoln Memorial Drive between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday, April 19 through Friday, April 23. Limit of one certificate per donor.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tips To Give Your Dog a Balanced Diet
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Diabetes and oral health in Milwaukee’s Mexican-American community
- Farmers Market and Local Harvest Breakfast Fundraiser to Support Family Farms
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces Availability of 2015 Membership Directory