Shorewood Intermediate School Students Excel at Music in The Parks Festival Competition in St. Louis
Last weekend, 236 Shorewood Intermediate School (SIS) music students, 40 parent chaperones, and 7 teachers traveled to St. Louis, Missouri for the Music in the Parks Festival Competition that included 23 schools from 8 states. Our 7th grade band, 7th grade orchestra, 8th grade band, 8th grade orchestra, and the SIS choir performed for a panel of two judges and received a rating and comments from the judges.
Congratulations to our students who performed exceptionally well at the competition. The results are as follows:
• Choir earned 1st place in the Middle School Mixed Choir Division A and a Superior rating;
• 7th Grade Band earned 1st place in the Middle School Band II Division A and an Excellent rating;
• 8th Grade Band earned 2nd place in the Middle School Band Division A and an Excellent rating;
• 7th Grade Orchestra earned 1st place in Middle School Orchestra II Division A and a Superior rating;
• 8th Grade Orchestra earned 1st place in the Middle School Orchestra Division A and a Superior rating; and
• 8th Grade Orchestra earned Best Overall Middle School Orchestra at the Competition
Also, congratulations to the music department teachers, Jason Clark, Karen Frink, Robert Hughes, Justin Olsen and Sal Terrasi for their dedication to the music program and for planning such a rewarding trip. In addition to the competition, all the music students participated in clinics with music professors from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville on Friday. This was a valuable learning experience for the students. After the competition the students spent the rest of the day at Six Flags Amusement Park along including attending the competition awards ceremony with music students from all the other schools. Before leaving St. Louis the students toured the community and stopped at historical sites such as the St. Louis Gateway Arch. The district also thanks all the chaperones who made this trip possible.
Our Music Program
The School District of Shorewood’s award-winning performing arts program takes students beyond the traditional classroom to introduce them to new cultures, experiences and perceptions. Our performing arts program is special in part due to the deep commitment of our students, parents and staff and for the large number of participants. Our unique philosophy of arts education focuses on exploring the creative possibilities within each student and is designed to nurture and develop the whole child. We enhance the fun and adventure of the learning experience by building skills, stimulating creativity and fostering self respect and respect for others. Our mission is to encourage all students to strive for excellence and stretch their inner resources.
The School District of Shorewood
The achievements of the School District of Shorewood’s 1,950 students are among the highest in the State of Wisconsin. In 2008 the United States Department of Education recognized Shorewood High School as a “Blue Ribbon” school for consistent high achievement and closing the achievement gap between minority and majority students. In addition, publications such as Newsweek and US World News and World Report both rank Shorewood High School as one of the nation’s finest high schools. These recognitions are a reflection on the entire school district (2 elementary schools, intermediate school, high school, charter school and pre-school) and the quality educational experience each child receives throughout grades PK-12.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- From Hollywood to Holy Wood!
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Spring Fling Family Dance Workshop
- Daddy & Daughter Dance Party
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- St. Robert Annual Pancake Breakfast/School Open House this Sunday
- Bartelt Wins Two Gold Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards
- MCW to host community mental health series
- Shorewood School District to Participate in National Day of Service