The Parenting Network offers a free, ongoing support group for grandparents and other relatives parenting again. This group meets the first Wednesday of each month from 6:00 to 7:30 pm at The Parenting Network, 7516 W. Burleigh Street, Milwaukee. Onsite child care is provided at no cost.
“Relatives caring for minor children are often a hidden population,” said Jan Buchler, Executive Director of The Parenting Network. “Wisconsin census data from 2000 indicate nearly 50,000 children under the age of 18 reside with their grandparents. That doesn’t include children living with other relatives. This program reaches a critically important, and often underserved, group of caregivers.”
The “Grandparents and Other Relatives Parenting Again” program addresses topics and concerns to those who find themselves unexpectedly in a parenting role. This group gives participants a chance to share their experiences and feel understood, exchange ideas and concerns, learn about community resources, and discuss child development.
To register for “Grandparents and Other Relatives Parenting Again,” call the Parent Helpline at (414)671-0566. For more information, please visit theparentingnetwork.org.
This support group is offered through a partnership between The Parenting Network and the Family Caregiver Support Network of Interfaith Older Adults Programs.
# # #
Since 1977, The Parenting Network has served Milwaukee families with the mission to strengthen parenting and to prevent child abuse. Services include a 24-hour Parent Helpline, parenting education and support programs, home visitation and case management services, and sexual violence and teen pregnancy prevention programming for middle and high school students. For more information about programs at The Parenting Network, please call the Parent Helpline at (414)671-0566 or visit us at theparentingnetwork.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Milwaukee Bucket List now a Book!
- Author of "The Map Thief" at UWM Sept. 28
- UWM's Academic Adventurers: "GIS Comes to Kazakhstan"
- Shorewood Senior Center to Sponsor Trip to Art in Bloom
- March 7 Talk: "A Global Geologic Exploration of Life after Earth’s Largest Mass Extinction"
- March 2, Lecture on Art at the Edges of Maps at UWM
- Dynamic Duos
- Jessie Garcia to speak at Shorewood Men's Morning Meeting
- Dec. 8, Layton's Legacy: A Historic American Art Collection, 1888-2013
- Community Comemmorates 75th Anniversary of Kristallnacht